Oil Pressure

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

If it's nothing else, then yes. He's changing his oil, lets see...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

yeap, this will be interesting.

while i'm betting that changing the oil will not make a notable difference, I am hoping it does resolve this issue. if it does, that'll also clear up some things in my head lol
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

After my rebuild, I was running Penrite HPR30 (20-60w) but the pressures were a bit high. I changed to HPR10 (10-50w) and it halved my oil pressures from idle right through my rev range.
1985 JB Starion #157
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

The oil is draining as we speak. Just went and changed my z142a (that I just bought today) to a z411. Old habits die hard...
PIZZA DELIVERY GUY....No more
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

what's the difference between the filters?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

269 LOL

A, what about the "a"?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

The starion one is bigger, alot bigger. Changed the oil and it stopped leaking out the sump! yay! little bit still coming out of rocker cover gasket, I will reseat the rocker cover gasket tomorrow though. Need a wheel alignment and a tune then Im all set.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

LOL at "maroochydore maestro" and 269 rofl

if your tappet cover gasket, sump gasket and oil cap are leaking, and have been installed correctly ie not too much sealant and only in the sharp corners of the half moons etc, that points to BLOW BY being the issue not the oil pressure, if your front and rear crank seals/oil pump seal/cam seal/oil filter etc were leaking then that would point to too much oil pressure.

what is the rebuild history of your motor khanage?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

WANTSOM wrote:269
have you been hanging with cookie a lot lately?
quest wrote:
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

redzone wrote:if your tappet cover gasket, sump gasket and oil cap are leaking, and have been installed correctly ie not too much sealant and only in the sharp corners of the half moons etc, that points to BLOW BY being the issue not the oil pressure, if your front and rear crank seals/oil pump seal/cam seal/oil filter etc were leaking then that would point to too much oil pressure.
for those of us (i.e. me) who are mechically challenged, could you elaborate on this a bit? I don't quite understand the correlation between sump/rocker cover gasket leaks oil cap leaks and blow by.. I thought blow by would cause burnt oil to just go out the tail pipe as smoke?
quest wrote:
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

also, what oil did you end up using khan?
quest wrote:
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

ok. with motor warmed up to operation temp the only number that counts is the last number. (ie 40 in a 10w40) . the 10 is the viscosity when cold in a multigrade.

biggest factor is oil operating temp, not clearances (in a healthy motor)

so if a 40 weight oil is too thin, move to a 50.

my 2c
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

could be blow by, im pretty sure I shot the dip stick out once, cant remember exactly. Its been built with alot of expensive gear in it but i have a feeling it was thrashed on the run in as it was sold immediately afterwards. Leaks from the half moon still. Will reseal it when I get a chance. Doesnt blow any smoke though and after changing oils it doesnt seem to leak anymore except from the half moon. Fully synthetic 10w 40. I was thinking about moving to a 50 but noone really reccomended it. The compression is pretty high as well. Even across all four cylinders though. Dave, you want me to drop it in so you can take the engine out, inspect it and install a dellow bell housing and supra box for free? I will supply the clutch if u need it.
:beer
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

thrash wrote:what's the difference between the filters?
The Z142A is the filter listed for a Starion. The Z411 is the filter listed for an L300/Starwagon.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )