Twin cam build #???

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Twin cam build #???

Post by Junkers »

So I've taken a few bits and pieces down to the local workshop to get them cleaned up and prepped, ready to be assembled. I am intending to build the core up in the next few weeks depending on how things go.

I'm using evo 1 pistons and getting my 6 bolt rods brought out by a mm to match the later model gudgeon pins. Does anyone have a rough idea of what it should cost to get this work done? I have also heard early gen evo pistons can hold roughly 240kw atw at the upper limits. Can anyone vouch for that? (I don't plan on testing it, just good to get a guide line.)

Also when setting up the timing gear plate, I read merlins comments about using the VR4 oil pump assembly/pulley. Is that all there is to it? i.e. swap gear set over into starion timing plate? I am not to worried about alternator mounts or power steering mounts as I plan to make my own.

Cheers, will get some pics up soon.

P.S. After a rocker cover and bolts if anyone has a spare set locally?
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Not sure about the early EVO pistons but from what I've been able to gather the standard Mitsi VR4 piston is OK up to about 20psi but you're stretching the friendship after that. Just what I've been told.

Re timing gear and plate, I am using the VR4 front plate, pulleys and oil pump. It all lines up perfectly. You then have a choice of the VR4 water pump or Starion water pump and you have a choice of which oil filter housing to use. Personally I am adopting the principle in my build of Starion bottom end/VR4 top end (with the exception of the timing parts obv). That means I am running Starion w/pump (modded to clear the timing belts) and the Starion oil filter housing.

I am going to use the VR4 alternator and bracket.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

WANTSOM wrote:Not sure about the early EVO pistons but from what I've been able to gather the standard Mitsi VR4 piston is OK up to about 20psi but you're stretching the friendship after that. Just what I've been told.

Re timing gear and plate, I am using the VR4 front plate, pulleys and oil pump. It all lines up perfectly. You then have a choice of the VR4 water pump or Starion water pump and you have a choice of which oil filter housing to use. Personally I am adopting the principle in my build of Starion bottom end/VR4 top end (with the exception of the timing parts obv). That means I am running Starion w/pump (modded to clear the timing belts) and the Starion oil filter housing.

I am going to use the VR4 alternator and bracket.
My motor is basicly the same as Gregs except that I used a Gallant GSR na motor 4 my conversion and used the GSR altenator (recoed )as well due to the tc ally front cover haveing a wider mounting for the altenator BUT i'm sure that you can use a Staz alt with a bit of ingenuity
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL