'81 Scorpion Mk.II

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
jwebb2876
I've been here before

'81 Scorpion Mk.II

Post by jwebb2876 »

Long time no post.
So yeah, got sick of the endless fiasco that was the blue POS, so I bought another one.

Astron II 2.6, 5spd, 260k, typically 80's grey interior blah blah etc etc.

Pre-sheep:

Post-sheep, pre-repair:

Post-repair:

With spots. You know, it actually looks kinda cool, in a grassroots rally car kinda way. Or, y'know, that's just the inner bogan showing through.:

Much better body and interior than the blue one, needs a bit of work in the mechanical dept. though.

Pros:
-Runs, pretty well considering. Idles neatly at just under 1k, revs cleanly right through to 5500rpm, has the occasional miss at idle but that's to be expected with old plugs and the original 1981 vintage dizzy cap.
-Drives well, again, considering. Nice and solid on the road, with no untoward behaviour.
-Good body
-Tidy interior
-New shocks
-New brakes
-Pacemaker headers/spankers 2" stainless exhaust

Cons:
-At least one fucked tappet, either that or a slowly dying bearing. Gonna fuck off the hydraulic roller rockers and cam for a known good flat tappet setup out of an early Astron I motor when I do the timing chain, so I guess we'll find out then.
-Slap-happy timing chain
-Carby needs a good, thorough clean and a kit, uses a fucktonne of fuel. Should be netting around 12-13L/100km, it's getting more like 20. May even ditch it for a Fagna carb, they're supposed to be better.
-Shit paint, worse since a recent altercation with a wayward crossbred lamb.
-Gayer-than-aids banzai bonnet
-Rattle clips are missing from the driver's rear caliper
-Rattle from the front end
-Needs a wheel alignment
-Shiiiittttttt headlights. Nothing unusual there though. which brings us to the next point,
-Commodore-spec little nudge bar and spotlights, I like being able to see, new globes won't improve things worth a damn and it's what I had lying around. Still need wiring though, need to dig up a relay, toggle switch and some wire from somewhere.

So yeah, mostly little shit, with a little luck once I've got the parts together it should be apples inside a week.

Once the issues are sorted and it's re-registered, it needs:
-Springs from the blue car
-New tyres F+R
-Centrelines on the rear
-Whatever else I decide I want to do to it

Might rebuild the stocker with G54BT pistons, an M7 head and a basic EFI turbo setup pushing 10, maybe 12psi, or turf the lot and chuck in an MPI Staz motor like I was going to do with the blue one, haven't decided yet.
For now, standard refresh, 34ADM, fix up the exhaust leak and drive.

TL;DR? I bought another Scorp, it's not as fucked as the old one so I'll be carrying on with this one instead.
"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool on the touge too."- Keiichi Tsuchiya
gj2600.wordpress.com
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

Those louvers are amazing.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

They are rather 80's fantastic, lol

Some better pictures of this piece of shit. 'Scuse the mess, I'm wiring shit. Yes, it's a tad... brown.

POWERHOUSE

S-G windscreen sticker, just 'coz

"Aww mah ghawdd, beast stereo ay cuz"

Toggle switch will eventually control the spots. They'll come on with the high beams as per normal, the switch is so I have the option of just high beams. Handy for in town etc.
"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool on the touge too."- Keiichi Tsuchiya
gj2600.wordpress.com
niss720
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by niss720 »

I like the two tone
Parting Blue JA Starion

Mercedes W126 420sel
Blue JA Starion (parting)
Silver JA Starion, 45000kms, coilovers
4G63 VR4 cordia