Thrash: Reincarnation

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Go to an auto parts store (or ebay) and buy a small fibreglassing kit. Comes with some mat, resin, brush etc, all you need to bond it all together. (a bit like this)
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

thanks guys!

Thanks Al, will look into that. I've looked at a couple of videos on youtube and it looks quite easy :beer
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
4gpwr
I love starions

fiber

Post by 4gpwr »

get and add extra hardener , so it drys quicker in the cold weather , i would get it from a auto paint supply place ,
4Gs Rule
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

thanks guys. I've bought a repair kit along with some fibreglass cloth, as the kit only comes with matt. Will see which one is easier to use.

Also got a roller on the way :)

4gpwr.. is hardener the same thing as 'catalyst' or MEKP?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Yes, hardener is the catalyst by another name. The kit will say how much to use, if it's colder it will take longer to cure.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

so the first section i did was a complete disaster. I mucked up the hardener/catalyst measurement, and so after a week it still hasn't dried. Will have to scrub it off and start again. I assume acetone will make it all come off easily?

second attempt last night was a bit more fruitful. Fully dry this morning, so will sand it tomorrow or on the weekend. Pictures to come.

Don't know what experiences you guys have had with fibreglass, but i've learnt that the difference between chopped strand matt and cloth is that cloth is easier to shape when dry, but has less give when wet, while the matt that came in the repair kit is very stiff when dry, but will easily give and mold around complex surfaces when wet.

Thanks for the fibreglassing advice guys. I wouldn't have even bothered to attempt it if it wasn't for you folk :beer
quest wrote:
4gpwr
I love starions

fiberglass

Post by 4gpwr »

One tip with the hardener when mixing it add enough hardener till it starts producing heat
4Gs Rule
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

a little progress. the pieces of the bar are now joined together, with the middle opening lowered. Still needs to be sanded and smoothed more, and also the top edges of the mouth need to be fibreglassed, but not too bad for now.

I'm not entirely happy with the way it sits, as the top edge of the bar along the side doesn't match the side lines of the car, so i might lower the rear part of the bar a bit to try and match this up.

Also, the bar is actually quite heavy as it is, so once i've had a bit more practice fibreglassing, I will eventually try and make a mould of it and then a lightweight copy. But this will have to do until the rest of the car is put back together

quest wrote: