Thrash: Reincarnation

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Looks awesome :-). Can you snap some pics of one mounted?
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

No problem, here you go:

You can see from this picture why it's always better to do everything that you can on your car yourself - if it's your pride and joy that is. It's your car, so you'll take better care. When the shop had done it initially, they left some fugly holes in my boot.. not happy Jan!

Just an acknowledgement to my helpers, creamed cottage cheese container and herbalife containers. Doing it all by my one-some would have been rather difficult otherwise!

The shop had also just used bolts which would make it much more difficult for me to line up when doing it on my own, so I switched them to studs, and used some wiring gromets both between the tank and the boot floor, and the boot floor and the nuts, to cushion it all

My install won't be as pretty as JAS' one - my lines will still be rubber for the time being. I wanted to go braided, but time will not permit it at this stage, and perhaps budget too.

And i've reconfirmed that I absolutely 100% hate working under cars! So wish I had a hoist!

Now i've run into a bit of a drama.. My memory has failed me, as it often does, and I cannot remember which fuel pipe is to the engine bay and which one is the return - can anyone shed some light on this? is it the upper one that is the return?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

So GSL RallySport don't keep starion pads in stock anymore in the A1RM compund. It's a 6 week turnaround to get them ordered - but now that I have ordered them, the guys ordered 3 sets so they can keep 2 on the shelf. Regardless, this is as good an excuse as any to upgrade... so I went out and got myself these :D

Quite gianormic when compared to the standard Starion items..

But really that was a bit of a waste of time as I really won't be needing them for the 1km sprint, so they won't get installed until after. But still.. I want that stopping powaaa!! (well.. i suppose the correct term would be anti-fade powaaa...)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

Haha, nice helpers.

The return line is smaller diameter than the feed line.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

hmm.. i got 5/8" hose for both, as that's what they had before... *scratches head*

should one of them be 1/4" hose then?
quest wrote:
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

The lower hard line is flow, should have a flare nut on the line. Return line is higher up and probbaly has a clamp on it.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

hmm, so it's as I thought. Thanks Al. Yeah the lower one has what looks like a nut with a barbed fitting.. I didn't get a good enough look to see whether the nut was a screw on fitting on or just part of the line.
quest wrote:
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

You could have atleast cleaned under the car 1st.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
Bitza
I've been here before

Post by Bitza »

Are they GTO brakes?

Do they have the 130mm spacing to suit the original pattern?

What size rotor do they fit?
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Using GTO brakes in the stock caliper position is a bit iffy, as you have to install the original left caliper from the GTO to the right side of the Starion, and vice versa, to get the bleed nipples at the top. When you do this, the different sized leading and trailing pistons are now around the wrong way.

JAS has done it however, and it seems to be working fine for him. Another solution I saw was to mount the calipers with the bleed nipples on the bottom, and just unbolt them, flip them, bleed them, then re-install.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

1320ft wrote:You could have atleast cleaned under the car 1st.
No, because that would have been the smart thing to do. But I'm lazy and I hate being under the car.
Bitza wrote:Are they GTO brakes?
Do they have the 130mm spacing to suit the original pattern?
What size rotor do they fit?
Nope, they're skyline R33 GTS-T brakes - exactly the same as R32 GTR calipers, but without the GTR markup. They are also exactly the same as 300ZX alloy calipers (some of them were apparently iron rather than alloy - much heavier). Funnily enough, sumitomo also make calipers for the GC8 WRX, and the pads are verrry similiar, if not the same.. probably like how the starion pads are similar to the db1141 hilux pads. However, the mounting points for the WRX caliper are about twice the distance apart when compared to the skyline ones. If I find a really cheap pair I'll grab them to compare and see which might be better to use.

No, they are a bit smaller - maybe 120mm - haven't bothered completely looking into the install yet - and won't bother until after mid-November, unless I get everything else in the car ready for the tune ( LOL ). Isn't the stock spacing 138mm?

The standard skyline rotors are 296mm, so exactly 20mm larger than the 276mm widebody rotors - but the rotor hub area is too small to fit the starion hub, so would need to be machined, which I don't like the idea of. Plus, I I think 276-280 is big enough for my needs for the moment.
quest wrote:
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

ProZac wrote:Using GTO brakes in the stock caliper position is a bit iffy, as you have to install the original left caliper from the GTO to the right side of the Starion, and vice versa, to get the bleed nipples at the top. When you do this, the different sized leading and trailing pistons are now around the wrong way.

JAS has done it however, and it seems to be working fine for him. Another solution I saw was to mount the calipers with the bleed nipples on the bottom, and just unbolt them, flip them, bleed them, then re-install.
Hmm, I didn't know GTO brakes fit right on.. but I'm a bit hesitant to go for them becuase they would be almost as rare as starion ones, so performance pad selection and avaliability may not be ideal.

With the skyline calipers, GSL Rallysport keep the A1RM in stock all the time, as it's apparently very popular. You can also get project mu hc+ pads which are even better, albeit over twice the price (A1RM 0-780 C, 0.41-0.48 friction, ~AUD 120-140 delivered; HC+ 0-800 C, 0.38-0.62 or 0.43-0.58 friction based on different sites, AUD 299 + delivery)

The GTO brake pads aren't available from local suppliers for the HC+ compound.

Also, I didn't know the calipers had different sized pistons in them..? The skyline ones look to be the same size..
quest wrote:
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

The GTO brakes don't fit straight one, different bolt spacing and offset. They are very similar callipers to the Nissan and Subaru ones, also made by Sumitomo. Its just as much work to fit the GTO ones any any other 4 pot you might happen across, plus the added complication of different size pistons.

The Skyline callipers have identical size pistons, so they're all good, the ones you have will be perfect :-).
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Last pic of the surge tank with the fuel tank back in place and new lines installed. Hopefully I haven't messed things up down there. If anyone notices anything that I may have been stupid about, please do point it out.

Wiring will be done when I do the engine bay wiring.

quest wrote:
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

mmmm :D

calipers not on yet, and bolts have not been torqued into place, but I just couldn't help myself!
quest wrote: