OLDIES latest mods

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

OLDIES latest mods

Post by OLD FART »

Have been agonizing over as to reco my existing turbo and drove to Lees to have a chat. Seeing that there are no smaller AR divided turbine housings readily available at short notice I have decided to stay with a plain bearingGT3582 AKA GT3540 single outlet turbine but a 63 AR so hopefully the spool will be the same or better (a bit earlier) than the old SP/Divided turbine :wink:
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Rad,

GCG list the GT3582R as a ball bearing option.
http://www.gcg.com.au/index.php?page=sh ... Itemid=101

Did you mean the GT3782?

What do you want from your turbo?

Just some other questions to get a better understanding of your current setup.

Why does it have to be the divided turbine housing? eg, 4 bolt, v-band?

What is your current dump pipe connection?

Do you have an external wastegate on your manifold?

What it your comp cover? eg. 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet

What is the max boost you want to run?
What is your max rpm?
Is it a 2.4L stroker?

This is a good little program to have a look at...
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/webadviser
1985 JB Starion #157
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Pete you ask a lot of questions so here goes LOL. Trust me I have researched and read absolutely everything on the Garrett site countless times as well as Turbonetics,Borg Warner FP, Precision etc etc etc :) As well as phoning CCG , Ray Hall & Dragons Lair PLUS a number of EM's to Precision in the USA

NO It will be a 3582 plain bearing T3 flanged single entry that is sometimes called a 3540

The same or slightly better response.

Divided turbines have a better/faster spool than single entry housings with the same AR .
4 bolt & V band are options for the dump connection.

Have had a 40mm gate on my 3 inch dump for years

Comp cover will be the same as the old one so no mods needed to current pipework.

20PSI

FYI a 2.4 is not a stroker. A stroker is a 2.0 with a 64 crank like mine ( or a 92/94mm crank in a 63) that has been bored to max recommended and has a 2323cc capacity :)

So after all my research I have decided to stick with Lees (who has built & tuned my motor) advice and give the BB turbos a miss and reduce the AR from 84 to 63 to maintain responce

PS hope the 63 won't boost too fast as an old senior citizen of advancing years like me might not be able to control the beast have a heart attack :(
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

OLD FART wrote:
So after all my research I have decided to stick with Lees (who has built & tuned my motor) advice and give the BB turbos a miss and reduce the AR from 84 to 63 to maintain responce

PS hope the 63 won't boost too fast as an old senior citizen of advancing years like me might not be able to control the beast have a heart attack :(
Yes Rad a .63 will spool much quicker & I have one for my 2.4L TC ( yes it divided as well ) if you get to much restriction at high RPM then CLIP the exhaust wheel ( Lee will know what to do) but really I think for the amount of time your at WOT it won't be a problem. C Ya this arvo :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Just collected my new GT3582 so pics

85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Ooooooh, fancy :). Love that compressor wheel nut.

There is an FJ20 powered chevette in at work doing a very similar thing at the moment, stepping down from a .96 to a .7(something) housing, and going to a split pulse one too. Should sppol a bunch better and still make good top end.
Looking forward to your dyno results :).
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

ProZac wrote:Ooooooh, fancy :). Love that compressor wheel nut.

There is an FJ20 powered chevette in at work doing a very similar thing at the moment, stepping down from a .96 to a .7(something) housing, and going to a split pulse one too. Should sppol a bunch better and still make good top end.
Looking forward to your dyno results :).
That bling bling gold comp nut has got to be worth another 10 or so hp :D LOL
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

TOMSUN wrote: This is a good little program to have a look at...
Is there anything like that but for the older Garrett T3 turbos?
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

that thing doesn't work for me. it keeps telling me one input is too low, but won't tell me which one. i've set everything to max and it still gives me the same crap.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

thrash wrote:that thing doesn't work for me. it keeps telling me one input is too low, but won't tell me which one. i've set everything to max and it still gives me the same crap.
You are probably being too ambitious with power output or the Mid Range RPM too low. Think of this where you want peak torque.

Try these settings to start with for a VR4 motor:

400hp
2L
Single
Pump Gas
Four
Air to air
14.7 bar
20 deg C

Give you about 16 turbos to choose from.
Check their compressor maps.
You want the first red dot to be away from the surge line and the second red dot to be not in the choke and over speed section of the map.

You also want to 'line', if you draw one between the two red dots to be passing through the highest efficiency 'islands' so the compressor imparts the least about of energy/heat to the charge air.

Have fun.

In this combo above the GT2860R (3), GT2871R (2), GT3071R, and GTX2863R all look good.

Once you have you it set up just go back and tweak the Power and RPMs. Less turbos will become recommended the more demanding the application.

Not the program doesn't seem to recommend turbos when the required PSI get around the 30psi mark. If you still want that HP then shift the RPMs higher especially the Mid. Don't have Mid at 2,000 and Max 9,000 for example.

:beer :beer
1985 JB Starion #157
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

popup wrote:
TOMSUN wrote: This is a good little program to have a look at...
Is there anything like that but for the older Garrett T3 turbos?
What do you mean older... Do you have some examples?
1985 JB Starion #157
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

I went through this using Tomsun's recommendations, changing only four valves to two (which changed the VE from 90 to 80%) and the message at the end that thrash got, "One or more inputs seem to have a very low value. Please increase the value and try again".

As I wanted to see the graphs, I switched valves back to 4 - same result. :wtf:
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

it seems finicky. I tried what tomsun said, and it worked. then i tried what i did the other day, and now it worked too! Only.. to make 480 crank hp with a 2 litre at 7500rpm, I need to run 39 psi boost LOL

I think it might have been because last time I put in a dummy zip code of 90210

Is the BSFC for turbo cars around the 0.55 mark or am i remembering is wrong?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Funny how easily we get off track from the original post :?
Anyway to get back on track finally fired it up this morning and raised the car on the hoist with the motor running and there were no leaks etc :D
Was a p###k of a job at times getting some of the pipes connected and tightened as there is little space and was pissed off with the so called turbo "expert"who supplied some fittings incorrectly in spite of having the turbo,oil &water supply hoses including the fittings from the motor as well sitting on the counter in front of him !!! and he still stuffed up and when on returning them insisted he supplied the correct fittings for the braided hoses eg supplied O ring seal fittings for water in & out of the CHRA when there was no machined groove to allow the O ring to seat correctly but needed needed tapered thread fittings + along with the wrong thread/size for the oil supply at the pump/filter end and the same with the water connection at the Wantsom cnc'd ally thermostat replacement block at the back of the head. :wtf: :glare: :x in all a very trying few days .
Must say a big thank you to Mick at Exotic exhaust for letting me use one of the hoists and for modding the wastegate position and modding my existing dump as his help was invaluable :beer
Terry and Scott at the TPE hydraulic hose workshop next door were great supplying the correct fittings thanks guys :beer
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

and.............................. how does it go compared with the other unit? :D
1985 JB Starion #157