Many shades of Red (now one shade of Green)

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

Thanks, sometimes it feels like its never ending! LOL

Unfortunately, the throttle body arrangement isn't going to work. The location of the ISC means its going to hit the rocker cover. Rotating the throttle body doesn't help either as then the throttle lever hits the manifold.

I found out that some Mitsubishis ran different type of ISC so I'm going to attempt that:
http://tech.mirage-performance.com/60mm ... ebody.html

It's basically filling a couple of the passages to make the two fit. I think I'll disable the coolant operated idle valve too while I'm at it as I wasn't going to run coolant into it. I'll rely on the ISC and the idle screw (under a rubber cap).

The double throttle lever has been done and should do the job. Bought a sheet of aluminum to make up a throttle cable bracket.

I wanted to test the new optical dizzy while on the bench so got the drill out and wrapped a rubber band on it to press it against the gear on the dizzy. Once rotating the EVO ECU fuel pump kicked in and the OBD scanner reported some RPMs!

I then made a cap for the dizzy from a dizzy cap cut in half and something I found in the plastic recycling bin, a lid from a food container or something!

Mitsubishi UK were celebrating 40 years of selling cars in the UK (started as the Colt Car Company). I applied and got a place in the lineup of 60 cars from 1974 to 2001. There were about 5-6 Starions, all looking tidier than mine! The day was presented by Mike Brewer (Wheeler Dealers presenter). It was about a 200 mile / 300km drive around the Cotswolds with Silverstone the destination for lunch.

I did a drive on the Summer Solstice to catch the sunrise at 4.30am near Stonehenge (set off around 3am).

Last edited by popup on Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

Good work mate!

Were did you get the dizzy? In UK?
T-man
I like starions

Post by T-man »

Popup do you have any pictures of the other starions that were there?

T
Theres only two people that can stop a run away bus, and am both of them.
popup

Post by popup »

The optical dizzy was from a mighty max in the USA, I got it shipped at the same time as the inlet manifold.

We were a bit late turning up and had to leave early so didn't get time to get many photos myself.

https://www.facebook.com/MitsubishiUK/photos_stream
Last edited by popup on Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

I see you parked next to Danny's car :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
popup

Post by popup »

redzone wrote:I see you parked next to Danny's car :)
:D
We were set off in a specific order with 1 minute gaps and his was in front. Pulling out of junctions it can certainly shift!

On the throttle body front, using the different ISC is not going to work. My naivety saw 6 pins and thought it would need a different connector and pinout but it seems that some of the ISCs were a motor with some sort of Hall effect feedback, rather than servo control. That a NO then.

I thought I'd get an FTO throttle body (mirror image) and just stick it upside down, but I think the ISC would then hit the bonnet...

Looks like I'm either going to have to modify the ISC so the plastic connector sticks out 90 degrees or perhaps find a way of roating the ISC so the connector can clear the rocker cover.

Should have gone Sonata rofl
popup

Post by popup »

As its been a quiet week or two here I thought I'd post up some new photos.

With so more checking it was never going to fit so I've gone for a remote ISC by making 4mm some aluminium plates with holes tapped for some hose barbs.

The inlet manifold had some spare holes that made for a convenient mount of the remote ISC.

The vacuum setup is now so simple! Also shows my throttle bracket, not pretty but functional.

Then I needed to find somewhere to mount the coils, ignition coil driver and injectors resistors (Evo injectors are low impedance but run injector resistors on the Stock ECU).

The J722T Igntion driver has a tacho output but I think I'll run the tacho output from the ECU; the tacho may get jumpy during rev limit/spark cut! The tacho will get modified to accept a low voltage by changing the series resistor & pullup resistor on the back of the tacho.

This contraption will fit on the bracket that normally holds the ABS modulator.

Last edited by popup on Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popup

Post by popup »

Nearly forgot, this parcel turned up from Australia too!

Last edited by popup on Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popup

Post by popup »

I was wondering what all the relays were on the relay tree for so unplugged them one by one. Could be useful if I need to diagnose a problem and thought this information might be useful to someone else. This is probably only relevant to UK(Euro?) models as I think we got quite a complex system with the lighting. I didn't have much luck trying to match the wire colours to the wiring diagram :?

1) Black Connector - This is used to retract the popups. Without, the popups went up but I couldn't get them back down even with keys out or pressing all the buttons

2) Blue Connector - I think this is the alternator "Resistor with diode". It has MD101250 written on it. The parts catalogue says "Alternator Safety", I think it just provides the field windings with power incase the bulb on the dash board blows?

3) This makes the popups raise if you put sidelights on

4) Enables Full beam

5) This makes the popups light up really dim (like a flat battery torch!) if you put the sidelights on

6) Enables Dip Beam

I have left 3 and 5 disconnected as I prefer not to have the popups raised with the sidelights.
Last edited by popup on Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T-man
I like starions

Post by T-man »

Just carried out this mod and am very happy with the results.

Thanks popup
Theres only two people that can stop a run away bus, and am both of them.
popup

Post by popup »

T-man wrote:Just carried out this mod and am very happy with the results.

Thanks popup
No worries glad to help someone else out! I'm amazed that after all these years, stuff like this hasn't been documented. :wtf:
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

perhaps my memory is failing me, and I can't start my car and check this, but I think the Australian ones do not do this..

Which side lights are you referring to? Is it the little ones between the fog lamps and indicators? I remember being able to turn these one without popping the headlights up.. but my memory is rather untrustworthy lol
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
popup

Post by popup »

thrash wrote:Which side lights are you referring to? Is it the little ones between the fog lamps and indicators? I remember being able to turn these one without popping the headlights up.. but my memory is rather untrustworthy lol
Yes, I call those lights side lights. I think it is unique to the UK or perhaps EURO versions too. There's also some large 2 wire resistor looking thing on the bonnet catch support which might be part of the system.
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

popup wrote:... some large 2 wire resistor looking thing on the bonnet catch support...
What???
Lets see a pic of this thing.... :beer
(Injectors resistorpack?)
popup

Re: Many shades of Red

Post by popup »

I fixed all the image links now as dropbox had deleted my account after many years of not accessing it. I'll hopefully get some time to do a update/follow up as a lot can change over 7 years :crazy: