JA83's car

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
JA83
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by JA83 »

will probably just run it open for a while, engine is now in the car!Image

manifold on for a test fit
JA83

Post by JA83 »

Been a while since updates. Finally got the sonata manifold all modified, ended up using a pajero 70mm throttle body, got all my vr4 injectors fitted with new pintle caps, filters and o-rings, getting the manifold machined at the moment and then ill paint it and put it all together. Got my distributors from over the ditch and had the old man machine up a alloy blanking cap.

[URL=http://s712.photobucket.com/user/a ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s712.photobucket.com/user/a ... .jpg[/img][/url]
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

Nice quality work.
Can you tell us more about the MPI Hyundai mod? Location of the thermostat? and did you have any space issues with the dizzy etc?

:beer
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
JA83

Post by JA83 »

Heaps of custom fab has gone into it, thermostat is in the top hose, had alot of issues getting the dizzy fitting unfortunetly
JA83

Post by JA83 »

sorry about the phone picture quality

manifold ported out

P/S bracket mocked up, reservoir mounts ground off as i'm remote mounting it

JA83

update!

Post by JA83 »

Had some free time so decided to sort out the p/s canister location, think it should be ok here, if not its not hard to move it again. I figured that comodores have plastic canisters mounted on their radiators so this should be fine... Been trying out my new tig welder fabricating up stuff like this

Still have a heap of stuff to finish off/ fabricate, Make the turbo inlet and outlet pipes to the intercooler, finish off the wastegate pipe on my dump pipe, weld in the 02 sensor, and air temp sensor bungs, buy a BOV and finally drop the tank out and fit my VLT bosch 070
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

A VLT pump is nothing special.. flow rate is 130 Litres per hour at 3 Bar, while the stock Starion pump is 110 Litres per hour at 2.5 Bar, so it's not a large upgrade..

If it's enough for your needs, great.. but if you are chasing a decent upgrade in power down the track, and don't fancy having to replace the pump again, why not grab a walbro GSL392? They aren't super pricey, and seem to do well. The other option is a Bosch 044, but our friendly VPW rep, Aaron, tells us why the Walbro is more suited to be installed above the Starion fuel tank:

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... =fuel+pump

Note that the pump Al used is a GSL391, which is 190Litres per hour, while the GSL392 is 255Litres per hour
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
JA83

Post by JA83 »

interesting article, the only reson i want to use the 070 pump is because i already have a near new one here. it was on my other project, 74 LA lancer with a turbo astron and supported 220rwkw ok. I'm aware that it will need upgrading if im chasing more power in the future but my injectors are only 450cc so just trying to keep things cost effective atm.. what do you think?

Im also wanting to cut the access hole larger in the boot floor and make a nice removable alloy cover to prevent having to drop the tank out everytime....
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

JA83 wrote:
Im also wanting to cut the access hole larger in the boot floor and make a nice removable alloy cover to prevent having to drop the tank out everytime....
That's exactly what I did to fit the 044 pump.Don't understand why they had a pissy little access panel :roll:
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

you decide what's best for you. I was just pointing out that the VLT pump flow rate isn't as high as people seem to believe.

The book terms the hole in the boot as an "inspection" hole, not a "maintenance" hole.. so you can look but don't touch rofl

The fuel tank wasn't as hard to remove and reinstall as I thought it'd be.. just a shame to have to dump an almost full tank of 98 octane fuel from it.. although that fuel was going on a year old, so it's better served as lawn mower fuel anyway :)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
JA83

Post by JA83 »

few more pics, dump pipe sorted and fitted, heat shields modifies and fitted, made the inlet pipe and air temp sensor, coil pack mounted and started making the hot side pipe

T-man
I like starions

Post by T-man »

A lot of nice work there, keep it up and keep posting pictures!!!

T
Theres only two people that can stop a run away bus, and am both of them.
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

very clean turbo side and quality work mate

87 Starion EX
JA83

Post by JA83 »

Thanks guys, trying very hard to keep things neat, really hate messy engine bays!