Project GSR5

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Greg I thought they were on the wrong side too when following the sellers instructions but i checked the vanes and they are directional and fitting them as they are points them to the rear, which is the direction they are suppose to face.

At the moment just polymatrix e pads that came with them. But I ordered some project mu pads, h16-3 on the fronts and club racers on the rear, so expensive for consumables but I have heard good things about the pads from friends who used them in the cars.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

Looking good. What were you going to upgrade to for rear brakes??

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Bao afraid I'm with Greg on this as it seems to me that the slots are fighting against the rotational forces that are wanting to send all the gases and dust to the outside of the disc while the slots are directing them into the hub :? it doesn't make sense. Do you have anything from Willwood that stipulates the correct direction the slots should be ??
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

So they are around the right way? "that the end of the slot nearest the OUTER edge of the disc contacts the pad FIRST."
PIZZA DELIVERY GUY....No more
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

OLD FART wrote:Bao afraid I'm with Greg on this as it seems to me that the slots are fighting against the rotational forces that are wanting to send all the gases and dust to the outside of the disc while the slots are directing them into the hub :? it doesn't make sense. Do you have anything from Willwood that stipulates the correct direction the slots should be ??
Rad as I stated previously the direction of the vanes are important and in this case is correct.

OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

RiceThief wrote:
OLD FART wrote:Bao afraid I'm with Greg on this as it seems to me that the slots are fighting against the rotational forces that are wanting to send all the gases and dust to the outside of the disc while the slots are directing them into the hub :? it doesn't make sense. Do you have anything from Willwood that stipulates the correct direction the slots should be ??
Rad as I stated previously the direction of the vanes are important and in this case is correct.
I agree the vane direction is the most important thing IF they are designed to pull cooling air in thru the disk and discharge it around the hub so that takes priority over the direction of the slots ONLY if they are designed that way.
DBA rotors are designed to pull the cooling air in from the hub out and the slots direct the gas& dust outwards.
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
jk
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jk »

maybe the pad slots expel the pad dust towards the centre of the disc to avoid the caliper from being filled with brake dust.
jb - white outside maroon inside
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

OLD FART wrote:I agree the vane direction is the most important thing IF they are designed to pull cooling air in thru the disk and discharge it around the hub so that takes priority over the direction of the slots ONLY if they are designed that way.
DBA rotors are designed to pull the cooling air in from the hub out and the slots direct the gas& dust outwards.
I have never seen a disc that pulls air from the front of the disc, the centrifugal force for a turning disc is what will move the air. The vane direction is important when the vanes are directional, which in my case they are.

If you look at the image, the directional vanes are pointing to the rear, with the rotation as shown, centrifugal forces will push the air out from the hub and out the vanes.

The slots are only there to wipe the pads and let the gas expel from the disc, ultimately their direction isn't too important, vanes however are important as their function will dissapate the heat from the disc.

OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Bao Thanks for posting pics I looked for but couldn't find.
as they clear up my missunderstanding of the direction of the airflow thru directional vanes :oops:my bad
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Ever had one of those weekends where nothing you did went right? I just did, started off with the exhaust place telling me they had trouble making my dump. Then I went to remove a fitting from the manifold which was leaking coolant, what was suppose to be a 1 hour job at most ended up taking a whole day.

Less than 3 weeks out this was sitting on the floor just to remove a fitting.

So after after removing the fitting and having to cut up some new inlet gaskets and putting it all back in, went to fit the surge tank.

After buying the speedflow fittings, putting them on the surge tank and making up the lines, i realised i got two fittings in the wrong size so had to pull them off, which in the process taking the fuel pump of the surge tank the helicoil came out of the pump's inlet.

Hopefully this weekend I dont run into any more issues as superlap is less than 2 weeks away, fingers crossed.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing you run a successful event.

You fellas driving down this time I assume? Staying at the same hotel or..?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Yeah mate we are heading down by car and towing down the starion. We are staying at the travelodge in blacktown to be closer to the track.

TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Bump. Need an update. :beer
1985 JB Starion #157
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

No update really, its been sitting there the last few years, when I have time it will become a dedicated track car as the widey will be the street one.