JayME's 83 Starion

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
JayME
Big Dorifto

Post by JayME »

Yea your right RiceThief it would be ideal timing to do the cooler and piping (and replace the BOV). Its also another expense I need the boss to sign off on :p

I don't think it is too much of a deal to spin the compressor housing again later though - and it almost looks like with the compressor housing in place for the crossover pipe the factory wastegate actuator\bracket will bolt up (yet to actually be proven, I'm probably dreaming)

Due consideration will be given to the piping and its final configuration when its done. I was actually thinking of sourcing an L300 intake manifold so I wouldn't have to change it. This may also help with the fact I've got the ABS brake modulator in the way for my current MPI manifold (Euro EX Starion). Sounds like the L300 manifold is a bit restrictive anyway - one problem at a time.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Ditch the ABS rubbish and voila! You have alot more room!
JayME
Big Dorifto

Post by JayME »

Ahhh already having set backs

First issue - turbo fell off my bench and damaged the bearing housing (circlip wasn't on compressor housing) :glare: My own stupidity, a few seconds inattention and now a few days kicking myself. Fortunately the wheels etc look fine.

So now it needs rebuilt . . . .

Took it into a local turbo shop to have a chat and discovered its a real mixture of bits

Turbine housing is a Chinese one. The guy at the shop thought the casting looked alright and it would be fine to use - choice

Bearing Housing is stuffed - probably get a straight oil cooled one this time - no problems there if I go down the rebuild path

Compressor wheel is quite a bit larger than a Big 16g. 50mm Inducer and 76mm Exducer (vs 48 and 68 std). He suspected it was a Garret wheel. This is matched to a relatively standard turbine wheel. Guy at the shop advised this was not that efficient (should be a bigger turbine wheel/housing to match) and likely to be laggy for my setup - not ideal

Compressor housing is an standard Mitsi one machined to suit the wheel.

So I've learnt a few things and now have to come up with some more coin.

The decision now, since pretty much the only usable part of this turbo is the turbine housing, is it worth rebuilding . . . .?
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

JayME wrote:....is it worth rebuilding . . . .?
Nope... not here in Sweden anyways... you can get a used ( evo3) 16g big from 1000SEK which would mean 153AUD... I myself got a (refurbished, new comp.wheel and bearings) TD05hr16g6 for 1500SEK (230AUD).