What have I done??

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Sweet car - well done :D
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

right, so I was asked by a chap in the States to write up a little article and send in some pics for an online magazine of his, article can be found here - http://mitsubishi.gearboxmagazine.com/2 ... evolution/

I figured I may as well post up some more of the pics I took for that article

ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Nice pics mate.

And great article! Well done! :beer
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

A magnificent car. Well done!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

update time.

I decided I wanted to fit an Evo III exhaust manifold and an aftermarket high flow down pipe

and proceeded to pull the lot out only to find that some of the blades of the compressor wheel were damaged

so I bit the bullet and purchased a 20G compressor wheel and matching ported Evo III housing, along with a genuine MHI turbo rebuild kit

had the exhaust wheel back-cut 7deg to compensate for the extra flow of the compressor wheel

and back together ready to go back on

unfortunately hit a snag in the process in the form of a broken stud, but got that sorted after having to buy yet more tools

pic of the fleet before I sold up the GT and the 8G Galant VR

The VR-4 is now tucked away in storage for now, but will be back in NZ in a few weeks and will have a good drive for the two weeks I'm there.

And that's about it!
ImageImage
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

don't know if you've driven a decent twin cam starion - but if you have, how does the performance and feel compare?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

thrash wrote:don't know if you've driven a decent twin cam starion - but if you have, how does the performance and feel compare?
I used to have a ZR4 "Evo 0" and it was sluggish compared to my DASH powered Starion. Both were bog standard to. I think the problem with the ZR4 was the weight, turbo and 4wd working against it.
Was a really nice car to drive though!
I love Phils VR4, when it came up for sale I looked into buying it, even went through getting enough money for it, then it was sold :)
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

thrash wrote:don't know if you've driven a decent twin cam starion - but if you have, how does the performance and feel compare?
Haven't driven a twin cam stazza yet (unless you're offering haha) to compare but compared to my two coupes running the SOHC 63 with TC06 @ 16psi they 'felt' about the same power in the low-mid range but the VR-4 always had the advantage of power beyond 6000rpms, even more so with the 20G turbo.

However the VR-4 is so much more quieter and smoother in its acceleration that it feels slower when the reality is that it's actually quicker. The main advantage the VR-4 has is 4WD traction on take offs - this is where it comes into its own.

Mine is one of the heaviest JDM versions tipping the scales at some 1410kgs. The only option mine is missing is the electric two-way sun roof.

The previous owner managed to run a 13.682 with just increased boost (on the 16G) and an aftermarker rear muffler attached to an otherwise stock exhaust system (cat removed).

In this run it ran a 13.77 winning against an Evo 7 - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/ ... 91ZERO.mp4
ImageImage
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

FST4RD wrote:
I used to have a ZR4 "Evo 0" and it was sluggish compared to my DASH powered Starion. Both were bog standard to. I think the problem with the ZR4 was the weight, turbo and 4wd working against it.
Was a really nice car to drive though!
I love Phils VR4, when it came up for sale I looked into buying it, even went through getting enough money for it, then it was sold :)
I wish Mitsubishi made a 6G wagon in addition or instead of the hatch. It would have weighed pretty much the same and been more practical.
ImageImage
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

that is so immaculate DG well done.
should hammer with 20g yeah?
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah I noticed a remarkable increase of power in the mid-range and top end - it keeps going beyond 7000rpm. The spool up did suffer a little though, takes perhaps an extra 200-400rpms to achieve full boost but it's something I can definitely live with. There's other bottle necks to address now.. it's still running the original 2.25" press bent exhaust, small throttle-body elbow and intercooler + piping - though being Evolution spec it does have the larger intercooler and slightly bigger 2" piping.
ImageImage
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Have taken it around the track a few times

body roll!

ImageImage
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

Very nice car DG!
You defenatley need a bigger exhaust, 3" at the very least.
And the "elbow" is in my opinion not so very good... to small and tight bend.
Is it possible to fit a straighter pipe (cone? +3") for say 20-30cm and then a bend?
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

I think I'm going to run with the factory intercooler & piping for now as it's more or less the same specs as an Evo1-3 and they handle 300ish HP well enough. If I were to upgrade the piping I would make it so it replicates the factory look as much as possible, and keep the OE intercooler but enlargen the end tank pipes. Am thinking of doing a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with one high flow center muffler right up to the flange for the OE rear muffler in order to retain the OE muffler, but swap on a straight pipe for track days or dyno days. Will also grab a 2G Eclipse throttlebody elbow from the US and hope that I can stretch the factory inlet hose onto it.

My plan is to keep it as visually stock as possible with only tasteful and reversible mods - someone coined the phrase OEM+ which fits just nicely. I also plan on fitting Evo 8 suspension (bolts in with only a few mods required) with whiteline sway bars along with Evo8 cams and Evo8 ECU using a loom adapter + rpm switch to control the Cyclone solenoids. Many VR-4/Eclipse guys in the US are seeing great results from this combo.
ImageImage
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

OEM+... :)
Yeah... in that case, no flashey elefantbends... LOL