Weatherstrip

Technical questions and ideas regarding how your Starion looks inside and out, bodykits to stereos.
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Weatherstrip

Post by popup »

So, looking at getting some new ones made. Emailed a website but they are closed until Next week so hopefully get some quote back or some info, then get a sample to trial fit.
This is a rough diagram I did.
Anyone interested, if they work out cheap enough and did get some made I could ship a box to Aus or NZ and some to USA?

1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
popup

Post by popup »

OK, so to get one made like the original will need Tooling, which is estimated to be about 1500UKP/2300 AUD! :shock:

However, it may be possible to get it done in silicone where the tooling is a lot cheaper and without the metal reinforcement. They are looking into how possible it is to get the flocking material to adhere to it though.

I'll get a sample off an existing tooled strip to see what it looks like.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Yep, don't forget that tooling cost is per part, so $4600 for the top & bottom strips! Plus the manufacturing costs plus profit..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
popup

Post by popup »

The tooling should be one off, to get the die manufactured for the extruding process.
popup

Post by popup »

So, in silicone it could be about £40 / 62 AUD a pair for the bits that run at the bottom of the windows. That gets you about 1.7 metres of seal. This is based on 20 orders.

What do people think? Still need to get a sample though as don't want to spend on tooling for it not work/look bad.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

definitely get a sample, how is it going to hold up to heat i wonder? and what's to stop it going ripply?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Definately get a sample, but if it looks like it's going to work, you can count me in.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

so.. 62 + (2300 / 20) ~ 180 bucks for the pair of bottom strips hey?

That's not a bad price. I'm sure there are 20 starions out there that need it.

if you've got the funds and the space, and are willing to make the investment and produce more, it'll be cheaper. Market it to the US and Aus and you'll turn a good profit lol
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
popup

Post by popup »

Maybe it wasn't clear, I might be able to get them for £40 / 62 AUD including tooling for the pair. This is using a different process and silicone I think. I have a sample in the post that has been used successfully on a camper van, so I'll get some photos of it when it arrives!
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

ohhh

so this is without the metal bit?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
popup

Post by popup »

thrash wrote:ohhh

so this is without the metal bit?
I believe so.
CaptShiner
Dorifto!

Post by CaptShiner »

Snap. If that is the case and they turn out alright, count me in for a set as well.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

It will want to look EXACTLY like the original section otherwise it will look really gammy next to the original rear section of the molding... Can't wait for pics, hope it's good

enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Very cool, put up some clear pics please when you get them. :)
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
popup

Post by popup »

Thought I'd update this. The samples never arrived and the emails gone quiet. :roll: Emailed a few other companies but they said they can't do it. One was very helpful and suggested some similar ones. May buy some lengths as its pretty cheap. I need something as I reckon its leaking water down, even if it doesn't look OEM.