Whatever happened to the old Group E cars

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Whatever happened to the old Group E cars

Post by WANTSOM »

Does anyone know or have information about where the various cars raced in the old Group E category may have ended up. Even if they were scrapped or written off.

It would be interesting (well to me anyway) to find the fate of the cars used by Jones, Fitzpatrick etc iand f they're still in circulation. Owners log books, previous owners, pit crew and associates could be a starting point or give some info. That could then maybe checked back against the registry and see if someone currently has it in their possession.

More out of curiousity than anything.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Staz Race

Post by Starion VR4 »

Contact CAMS about them as all cars were log booked who owned them, or try the group E association in yr state.
:beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Des's GroupE car still exists, the one pictured in my avatar! His son has it now and is a member (Star64) of this forum (but does not post very much).

It's back to road spec now which was easy because not many mods were allowed in GroupE. In fact Des's car was still registered the whole time we raced it as were lots of other cars in the class, some of the low budget guys even drove them to the events!

We kicked arse with this car. Below are the results from the Yokoharma 300 at Winton in 1986.

TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

the guy who bought my Stazz has a racing Starion, his name is Dean and is from Burleigh Heads, not sure if it's a group E though...
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I think Dean is chooky on this forum and he races in group A if i recall.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

we have pics of dean crosswell (chooky)`s car in the 1988 i think it is bathurst yearbook. but yes i think his was originally a group e car converted to group a as were most of the group a starions i believe...

the mid to late eighties bathurst and australian competition yearbooks are a great source of pictures and information on all aspects of their racing life here in oz. like 1985 or 86 has a great story on how they were ROBBED by cams of an extremely promising run at bathurst, coz of a stuff up with homologation of the intercooler setup)

visit your local second hand bookstore today! (just not any in my area u bastards!)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

The Sutherland Mitsubishi/Kevin Bartlett GroupE JB starion was sold to my Dad, Ron Masing in one of those dodgy "buy this car to get these parts" deals when purchasing a bunch of left over GroupA parts for the touring car. Had plans to turn it into a sports sedan but that never happend. It then moved on to a rally bloke McPhee who turned it into a rally car and rallied it for a few years. Was then sold to Casmiri from Sportsclassic who rallied it further. Then sold again, not sure who has it now. I can remember being about 10 when dad got it, was an immaculate car...
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Lol mark what happened to the Pulsar driven by Renato? Out after 31 laps LOL
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

fr335tyl3r wrote:Lol mark what happened to the Pulsar driven by Renato? Out after 31 laps LOL
Man that was 1986 can't remember?
However I do remember because of the rules for that event we had to use trolly jacks and wheel braces in the pit stops. Which made them pretty SLOW. However is was the same for everybody, great fun actually.
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

I bought the group E Bartlett JA Starion from John Grant- Ralliart and also bought the Peter Fitzgerald Group E JB Yokohama Starion. I don't believe there ever was a JB Starion group E car from Ralliart as these JB cars were Group A cars LEFT HAND DRIVE. I worked and crewed on the Group A cars in 85 and 86 at Bathurst and the ATTC for Ralliart Japan.
JJH
Enthusiast

Post by JJH »

So, groupAralliart, do you still have the GroupE's?
Pics please if you do :wink:
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I don't know how the different grouping work over there, but one of Kevin Bartletts old cars has ended up on this side of the ditch. Its still raced, in endurance races, and does quite well apparently.

groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

The car in NZ is Kevin Bartletts own personal car built to group A factory specs and raced at (did not actually race or qualify due to electrical gremlins) Bathurst in 85. This was the car I crewed on that year, it was driven by Graham Moore and Michael Decourt. That was the year Kevin raced for the factory and finished 9th.

I no longer own the group E cars but have some pics and will scan them up soon. The factory JA is now in Melbourne I believe with a commodore V6 installed. The guy would not know the cars history or pedigree. Same with the JB Yokohama car. I traded it in to Zupps Mitsubishi on a Galant GSR in 1991
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

What sort of mags are they on that car!!!! :drool:
RallyStarion
Big Dorifto

Post by RallyStarion »

I have it on very good authority that Bob Riley - ex Ralliart - now has the last of the Group A cars as raced at Bathurst. I believe it was in Sutherland livery. He even got the rattle guns in the deal to take off the single wheel nut with. The bugger proudly showed be the log book, just to rub salt into a big wound, that was about three years ago.
I believe he is intending on rebuilding it to its former glory.

Brian
Dirt is for racing on, Bitumen is for getting there.