CV Boots

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

CV Boots

Post by popup »

What should I be getting to replace the CV boots? There are some listed on ebay.co.uk but they look like the universal type and that usually means things don't fit! Other option is to get some from the States, but its quite confusing as it looks like there may be different types for pre 88 or intercooler/non intercooled?
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

Stateside, we had two different axle sizes for the 4 bolt rear which would be LSD and non LSD.

I used some "uni-fit" universal types on my 6 bolt, they are made of nitrile rubber or something that's better than the OEM types. They fit just fine.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Robert - Was the PCD of the four bolt axle the same between the different sizes?
popup

Post by popup »

Am I right in thinking it comes down to the difference in Diff size as that determines what half shafts are fitted?

And that seems to be (correct if wrong)

Small Diff 4 Bolt
Big Diff 4 Bolt
Big Diff 6 bolt

I would get some Mitsubishi ones but I've heard they are really expensive. The ones on UK ebay just list Starion as fitment, so maybe the differences are so small that it can just stretch to fit?

I need to find what Diff I have, certainly got an LSD.
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

ProZac wrote:Robert - Was the PCD of the four bolt axle the same between the different sizes?
No, the PCD is different, however they are very close and easily drilled out to get them to interchange.
popup wrote:Am I right in thinking it comes down to the difference in Diff size as that determines what half shafts are fitted?

And that seems to be (correct if wrong)

Small Diff 4 Bolt
Big Diff 4 Bolt
Big Diff 6 bolt

I would get some Mitsubishi ones but I've heard they are really expensive. The ones on UK ebay just list Starion as fitment, so maybe the differences are so small that it can just stretch to fit?

I need to find what Diff I have, certainly got an LSD.
The shaft size is just a few mm difference between the 4 bolts, here in the States at least.

Checkout http://rockauto.com they list Euro spec models, and ship overseas. I regularly order my parts from them as they have some of the best prices around.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
popup

Post by popup »

I've ordered some now, they had a video on fitting them. Comes with a big cone thingy to help get them on. And it looks like the boot has steps for different diameters so you cut down to the step that is the right size with a knife. May even look at taking the CV joints apart to clean and re-grease.