DRIFT Starion info thread - Calling all DRIFT Starions

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.

Should Starions be driven in a straight line, or sideways?

Yes, sideways!
57%
Nope, keep it gripping!
43%

Total votes: 23

niss720
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by niss720 »

The Starion handbrake is a joke, none of mine do anything. Talk to Hugh about modding the brakes to get more leverage on the brake calipers to improve the braking strength. I have considered this option but like enthused I'm fitting a hydro with the standard lever. Again it's worth the small price why do everythng twice just do it right the first time. Cost me 150 for everything just have to install it. I will post up when I get around to it.

As I mentioned earlier I also tried the 2 diff method but its about an hour job and its a pain swapping the diff on jack stands. I was going to put my open center in since the last prac but the torque tube spline is too worn and i don't want to ruin my good diff, so maybe get a torque tube too.

Ohh and remember you will probably have to swap the oil every time too take out and install the diff so add that to your cost list.
Parting Blue JA Starion

Mercedes W126 420sel
Blue JA Starion (parting)
Silver JA Starion, 45000kms, coilovers
4G63 VR4 cordia
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Yes you will have to swap your oil, LSD oil for the slippery is different to a standard diff. I wouldn't use the oil from one unit in another either.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Niss720, fitting the hydraulic handbrake is so worth it. One tip for you, get enough line to run down to the T-block that sits on the underside of the rear seat, run a new line from there up to the handbrake then the other line back to the block. If you ever have trouble with the hydraulic setup you can just refit the original line back into the block and just rebleed the rear brakes.

Hope that makes sense, if not I'll draw you a picture.
How?
niss720

Post by niss720 »

How did you connect it enthused? I was thinking about running a new line from the hydro to the rear splitter block and either using standard line to feed the hydro or cutting it and joining it so I can easily re connect it.

Don't suppose you have any photos of the lever set up
Parting Blue JA Starion

Mercedes W126 420sel
4G63 VR4 cordia
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Yeah, I'll get some photos for you.
How?
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Yeh the Starion handbrake is only good if you have BOTH cables working properly and free of any binding up. Most Starions now have at least one seized or stuffed cable, in which case it's almost useless for drift. But I can confirm (from my Widey) that if both cables are good, it works REALLY nice, I can comfortably do a 180 handbrake turn in that in a one lane one way street!

And as niss720 mentioned, I also sometimes weld reinforcement and an upward angled longer extension onto the handbrake lever. Gives you more leverage, and makes it faster to get to near the gear lever, like those rally handbrakes. But yes again requires the rare situation of BOTH cables being totally free, and some good (but not too hard) rear rake pads.
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Alright, pics!

The complete assembly including the lines fit under the standard centre console. It is mounted towards the drivers side so I could still use some of the space under the armrest. I actually cut down the black cardboard box to fit as well.

Also, don't get confused by the fuel/boot release, I moved it there because the car has a rollcage and there was nowhere better to mount it.
Yes, it's on the outside of the console but I possibly could have mounted that inside instead.

Aerial view:

Another view, note notch for the wiring plug:

Closeup with clevis pin out, you can see the lug I welded to the handbrake shaft. The cylinder's pushrod sits level when the handbrake is down and the whatsamacallit sits almost on the handbrake shaft and rises up when rotated. Not much movement is required for it to work because I've adjusted it so by the time the first rachet of the cable is reached the rear wheels are locking up:

I didn't take a pic with the centre console in place, yell out if you want a couple...
How?
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Some other points:
The pushrod doesn't move much from the horizontal (which you don't want because you are wasting movement in the vertical plane instead).
Whilst I could have cut down the pushrod, I didn't want to so if I ever needed to replace the slave cylinder and pushrod unit, I could buy it off-the-shelf and fit it without mods.
I also used the original handbrake mounting bolts as the unit uses 3mm steel from a section of RHS, but I have reinforced the back of it (or did I only do that to the assembly in my JB??)
How?
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

One more pic, the setup under the car:

The thinking behind this was to make it easy to remove and reinstate to original if required. So by adding a joiner right at the T-block, the original line goes into the new joiner, then run your new line up to the cylinder. The return line from the cylinder then goes back into the T-block. All you've done in essence is intercept the rear line and added the cylinder in the middle.

The new 3/16" lines are best run up the trans tunnel with the other lines, and can then be cable/zip tied to those other lines.

Get the brake place to do a couple of the flares for you, saves you doing half of the flares. And get a double flare adapter for 3/16 line because no doubt you'll need at least one double flare somewhere in the system.
If they're not done properly you'll have weeping or leaking setup which will annoy you/won't work very well or both.
How?
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

looks like you should be selling a kit Frank ;)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

brilliant setup frank :beer
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
niss720

Post by niss720 »

Thanks for the pics, it looks very similar to what I had in my head but keeping the standard line sounds like a good idea seeing as mine will see the street and the boys in blue don't like anything that looks at all modified, but I haven't had much trouble yet (touch wood )

Does anyone know if there is a way to make hydros legal? Ie if we keep the standard cables, or is the ability to lock the rear wheels completely outrageous in the eyes of the law
Also have you had any trouble with the car 'running away' I may have to have a detatchable pushrod so I can still use the cable brakes as I've heard hydros can lose pressure over time and the car roll into objects. I usually leave it in gear any way so this shouldn't be an issue
Parting Blue JA Starion

Mercedes W126 420sel
4G63 VR4 cordia
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Some of these cars run away with the standard cable handbrakes, believe me I had my white car roll away about 6 times in 8 years, it had minor altercations with two cars, another time it bounced a gutter and touched a tree. Another time it rolled and sat perched on a crossover, stopping metres short of a massive brick letterbox. Each time the situation could have been much much worse. It used to creep and creak away, I had to pull the handbrake on supertight. And that was with the hydraulic system in place too.
Maybe it was just this car, I don't know.

My thoughts are that two braking systems will hold the car better than one. Think about this, if you have your foot jammed on the brake with the engine off, does the car go anywhere? Well, it's sort of like that with the handbrake on as well...sort of...
How?
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Frank you need to turn the front wheels in towards the kerb so it can't roll too far.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Also, in case anyone didn't notice in the photos, Frank's original cable handbrake is still connected, so it works as well as the hydraulic unit. That does get around the issue of the hydraulics losing pressure.
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects