4WD STARION

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
DrDeath
I like starions

4WD STARION

Post by DrDeath »

Hi to all. A long time with no posts, but I thought this was worth sharing. I just finished a three week holiday in Japan, part of which was visiting the Mitsubishi Auto Gallery (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corpor ... index.html) @ 1 Naka-Shinkiri, Hashime-cho, Okazaki, Aichi 444-8501. Here is a Google maps link for the exact location. (https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=mitsu ... 15&iwloc=B)
For japan this place is a long way off the beaten track. From the train you walk around the Mitsubishi factory to the diagonal opposite side and in the main entry. There are no English signs. When you get to the main building you have to go to the left hand side and ask for a security tag. I strongly suggest ringing ahead (0564-32-5203) if you plan to go because you want to make sure they will be open. Also a phrase book at the least will help you get in because no one we met spoke any English.
Once you get the security pass they will walk you through the factory and proving ground and into the museum. You will probably have the place to your self. When I signed into the visitors book there were only 4 names this year.
Inside you I found a collection of Mitsubishi cars, motorbikes, mopeds, 3 wheelers, 4wd, engines, aerodynamic test models, original blue prints, signed posters, original concept artwork, and a library full of historical documents. (all in Kanji ) :x
Amongst the historical cars reside: Vin no.001 Evo 1. 1985 Paris To Dakar wining Mitsubishi Pajero and of coarse a 4wd STARION.
I took as many photo's as I could in the time I had. it was hard to get the Digital SLR under the car so the under side shots are a bit shabby.
After admiring for a while I decided to ask the library staff if they could open the bonnet for me to take a couple of photo's. He did, and then he insisted that I sit in it and have my photo taken.
As you can see the original Starion has been modified quite substantially, with fiberglass doors, bonnet, front guards, rear guards, Dash board, and bumpers. As you will see in the pictures its a single cam 2l running multipoint. According to the library staff its running a custom made 298 cam, and a one off hand made computer.
There were also 2 spare engines on stands in the corner sporting turbo's and multipoint manifolds.
There are a few photo's so ill just add the link for photo bucket.
Enjoy :beer
http://s1110.beta.photobucket.com/user/faz24/library/
JayME
Big Dorifto

Post by JayME »

That place looks amazing - very cool
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

Image Image Image Image Image
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

fugazi wrote:Image Image Image Image Image
I agree
jk
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jk »

Thanks for sharing the pics DrDeath :)

I was in Nagoya last year and had no idea this museum existed.
I did manage to drag my Mrs to the Toyota museum though (I'm a previous Toyota fan boy)

If you can recall, I suggest posting the subway/rail line you used to get there from Nagoya and the actual station to best access it for other travellers attempting the journey.
jb - white outside maroon inside
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

nice one! This goes on my bucket list lol!

looks like some pretty beefy turbos on the standalone mpi motors
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
DrDeath
I like starions

Post by DrDeath »

To get there I used www.hyperdia.com to find a route.
The closest station is Kitanomasuzuka. It was four stops down the line from Mikawatoyota, which is where the Toyota factory tour is.

The Toyota Technology museum was definitely worth the 500yen entry fee, if you are ever in the Nagoya area. www.tcmit.org ( you will need google translate for this site)
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Awesome photos, talk about getting up close... Nice!
1985 JB Starion #157
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

Nice! Going to have to look at these in detail later this evening! :D
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
Schultz
I like starions

Wonderful

Post by Schultz »

Wonderful pictures, very interesting. I will never get there so I appreciate people posting pictures of different starions.
Thank you very much
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Nice work Fazza!

ps how long til the jb is back on the road?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
DrDeath
I like starions

Post by DrDeath »

Its running, just waiting for the rain to stop raining to get the paint finished.
DrDeath
I like starions

Post by DrDeath »

Here's a pic of the engine from a couple of months ago.
Done a lot more on the body since then.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

I went there a few years ago (2006?) & agree it was worth the hassle of finding. Unfortunately my pics turned out crap,so thanks for sharing yours.
Both the Toyota museums are worth visiting. One is cars combined with other technology and the other is just cars.
Toyota seem to be far more proud of their history though (more money too I guess).
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

Good stuff!!

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!