JA Starion keeps blowing Vac Advances

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Champaign
Big Dorifto

JA Starion keeps blowing Vac Advances

Post by Champaign »

I replaced my Vacuum Advance a few months ago, haven't driven it in most of that time and just started driving the car this week and it seems to have blown it again... This would be the third or fourth time in as many years.

Is there a reason why this would keep happening? Or anyone have a solution?

Coil Pack for example? :oops:
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Were you using new ones? I think after 30odd years the rubber is starting to deteriorate & perish. Think you will have to go MPI & Fixed dizzy & let the ECU control advance. OH BTW I have on here as well only problem is its attached to the rest of Dizzy. You already know the price :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Champaign
Big Dorifto

Post by Champaign »

Always been using second hand parts.... I'm interested in setting up MPI and fixed dizzy like you said... Do you know of a list of recommended parts from a particular car? I might as well get started.

Does the ECU need to be changed also? many thanks :beer

Oh, if someone has a head & manifold already converted I may be interested to buy.
Champaign
Big Dorifto

Post by Champaign »

Just wondering what the likeliness of a brand new Vac Advance blowing on my engine? Would I be wasting my money to go that route? Any help would be appreciated, thanks all
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

The only thing I can think of is too much vacuum or too much boost. Is it standard boost levels?

The other possibility is you might have too much blowby from the engine creating oil vapors, and perhaps this is making the rubber diaphragm rot or perish? Is the throttle body covered in oil inside?
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
Champaign
Big Dorifto

Post by Champaign »

I'll have to check that in the morning :) Yes running standard boost...

Another question I have is if the Starion vac advance is also a boost retard? If so, would this mean there's no need for a 1-way valve in the vac advance vacuum line? A photo of a working setup would be great if anyone has something :pimp
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Champaign wrote:I'll have to check that in the morning :) Yes running standard boost...

Another question I have is if the Starion vac advance is also a boost retard? If so, would this mean there's no need for a 1-way valve in the vac advance vacuum line? A photo of a working setup would be great if anyone has something :pimp
Yes the vac unit does retart under boost & advance ih high vacuum. There is no one way valve required, then only one way valves are in Brake booster & purge to the charcoal canister.

Champaign
Big Dorifto

Post by Champaign »

awesome... I wonder if the one-way valve has killed the vac advances all this time? You wouldn't happen to have another vac advance/dizzy laying around would you? :D
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Champaign wrote:awesome... I wonder if the one-way valve has killed the vac advances all this time? You wouldn't happen to have another vac advance/dizzy laying around would you? :D
Perhaps it could of... seeing its always in vac. Yes i do... & its the correct plug. check your old messages from me :beer

Champaign
Big Dorifto

Post by Champaign »

Interesting... the last message I sent the last bloke I bought the dizzy from was "Dizzy arrived today, fitted and is working well, just need to set the timing as the car's pinging on boost now"... from memory, adjusting timing did not eliminate the pinging.

Just got contacted by 'Advance Diaphragm Options' in QLD and they can recondition the vac advance for $75. Will look at this, best to get it reco'd if I can... will let you know how it goes! :D