Gear shift bush repacement - How to

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Gear shift bush repacement - How to

Post by Alspos »

How to - Gear shift bush replacement

Fairly easy to do, just a bit time consuming.

Symptoms. My shifter would "buzz" when the revs were over 3-3.5k and was just plain annoying. There was also a small amount of slop in the shifter when in gear.

Procedure

Undo the gear knob and remove shift boot. Squeeze the wire in on the long side of the boot and move it out of the console.

Take out the box in the console and push the plastic flat panel up to get it out. Same with the window control panel. Undo all the electrics. Remove the 4 screws for the console and remove.

Then the upper part needs to come out. Undo radio knobs or whatever you have installed. Remove the trim on the sides. Undo the screws on the sides that hold the radio cradle to the metal supports. The upper console is screwed from behind through the radio cradle, if you pull it, the screw lugs will break. Once everything is undone, the upper part will slip out.

Undo the 4 screws that go through the metal surround that holds the next rubber boot in place. You'll have to pull the carpet out of the way to get at them. Once undone, pull the metal surround and rubber boot out.

Then you have the top of the gearbox. Undo the 4 bolts to remove the shifter.

That will leave you with a big oily hole!

Bush to be replaced. Mitsubishi part no. MD701577. Cost from Mitsubishi $8.90

I pulled 3 nuts off my shifter assembly to just check it and clean any crap out of it.

Also, I noticed someone prior had used silicone around the top of the assembly so I scraped it all off and made a new gasket from 0.8mm gasket paper.

The 2 bushes side by side.

The bush simply pushes on to the ball on the bottom of the shifter. I noticed the fit was much better, not loose like the old bush.

Now.....repeat the process in reverse to get it all back together. But before you do that, it's probably also a good time to jack up the car and drain that old gearbox oil and refill it, seeing as you have the top of the gearbox open and the oil will simply run in through the nice big opening you have! Gearbox should take about 2.5 litres to refill.

Out.
Last edited by Alspos on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perrinsohc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by perrinsohc »

awesome stuff mate!

87 Starion EX
Schultz
I like starions

Post by Schultz »

Very good write up Alspos.
Thank you.
I will have to replace my bush next time I have the gearbox out.
Firebrand
I like starions

Post by Firebrand »

I recently did this on mine, nice and easy. I think a new bush was $11 from Mitsubishi NZ.
1983 Starion GSR-II (TD05)
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Al, (or anyone)

Any chance I can get the size in mm of the bottom ball on the shifter without the bush on it? (ie the internal width of the bush).

Also anyone have a pic of the pivot point of the Starion shifter as well as the diameter/width??
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

This was the first repair I ever did on my first starion. Makes a huge difference from when it is gone, to new again. Great write up. :beer
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

NXTIME wrote:Also anyone have a pic of the pivot point of the Starion shifter as well as the diameter/width??
Someone on here onse did a "shirtshifter" with a spacer and alll... and pics.
Dont remember who, and cant find it...
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

NXTIME wrote:Al, (or anyone)

Any chance I can get the size in mm of the bottom ball on the shifter without the bush on it? (ie the internal width of the bush).
14.8mm but the bush is slightly worn, so minus a point 1 or 2.
fugazi wrote: Someone on here once did a "shortshifter" with a spacer and all... and pics.
Dont remember who, and cant find it...
Vulpes or Merlin?