Water pump

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Pipe is held in place by the brackets on pipe, they bolt up to the block. The o-ring is just a regular ring, try a bearing place for a replacement.

Also, make sure thing is clean clean clean before putting it together, the o-ring is the only seal (useless system if you ask me)
GasJA
I like starions

Post by GasJA »

On the topic - water pump.

I have the SOHC setup and it looks like I need to change a water pump as there are drops of coolant at the bottom of the timing cover.
I have always had the timing belts replaced at a workshop.

Both timing belts were replaced not long ago when the mechanic discovered that timing belt B was broken. Car was a bugger to start then!

Is it necessary to change the timing belt(s) if there is coolant on them?

I take it that when the timing belt is removed the crankshaft and camshaft don't move but the oil pump sprocket will spin easily?

I was thinking of making a metal thing to stop the oil pump sprocket from turning and securing it to the small timing cover bolt (about 6cm above the oil pump sprocket).
The idea is that if I use this bracket, I won't need to do the screwdriver in the hole trick.
Any comments?
4G63 hard to live with
hard to live without..