How To: Repair and Re-grease Windscreen Wipers

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
niss720
Mine is bigger than yours

How To: Repair and Re-grease Windscreen Wipers

Post by niss720 »

Of my 4 Starions, I found 3 to have seized windscreen wipers, so this guide will show you how to repair and or prevent seized wipers.
This is easy to fix and as a result my wipers are faster, smoother and quieter than ever.

The image below shows one of the wiper pivots I removed from my JB. As you can see in the image the assembly has seized and the whole assembly has started to spin within the body panel and cut 3/4 through the pivot point.:roll:

How it should look:

Step 1:
remove the wiper arms, motor and pushrod assembly and separate the two pivots:

Step 2:
Remove the cir-clip and the bolt at the top of the assembly:

Step 3
you will need to separate the axle from the mounting point. to do this you may need a press or a vice. I placed it in a vice and gave it a few sharp hits with the hammer. Tip: screw the nut on alittle bit to protect the thread before beating it with a hammer. this will save you a huge headache in the long run :pimp .
this is what you will end up with:

Step 4

See all the corrosion on the shaft? all that has to be removed and polished. use some fine sand paper to start with and polish with steel wool.
Repeat this process on the inside of the bearing part. I found rolled up sandpaper or strands of steel wool worked best

Step 5
Ensure the two parts move freely when placed back together and continue to sand if any binding occurs. When you're satisfied you have removed all the corrosion and the shaft spins freely, apply a generous amount of grease to the axle and re assemble.
you may wish to play with it for a while to ensure the grease is evenly spread within the bearing.
Remember the order for re assembly:
1. Wave washer
2. Bearing pivot
3. Small washer
4. Cir-clip
5. Nut

When you have replaced the circlip repeat the process with the other side and re assemble. Remember to clean and grease the little balls the push rods connect to before re assembly.
Since i have done this my wipers have been faster, smoother and quieter than ever :D :beer :pimp
Parting Blue JA Starion

Mercedes W126 420sel
Blue JA Starion (parting)
Silver JA Starion, 45000kms, coilovers
4G63 VR4 cordia
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Good work :beer
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

Excellent thread. I've just finished doing the ones on my rally car. Huge difference.
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser