Getting Rear Hubs off?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Getting Rear Hubs off?

Post by thrash »

Gday everyone,

What's the easiest way to get the rear hubs off? (I'm switching from 4 stud to 5 stud)

I'm stuck trying to get the 'Companion Flange Mounting Nut', that's screwed onto the back of the hub.. bent two metal rods trying to lever against the hub so far.. no joy

I was hoping to get it out without having to take the hub carrier off the suspension arm, but i'll have to take the whole thing out anyway, aren't i? Given that i need to get a torque wrench in there to torque it up to 260-300nm??? :shock:
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

Remove the drive shaft, then simply use a rattle gun (impact wrench) with the appropriate size socket (cant remember the size) & it should easily rattle off the big nut on the internal end of the hub shaft. Helps if you leave the wheel attached & touching the ground to stop the shaft from turning. Theres no need to remove the hub carrier. Good luck.
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Ahh thanks to both of you! Will try the impact wrench - and those pictures really make a difference!
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Ive got a torque multiplier if your stuck
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

thanks! might give you a call. Haven't had the time to go into the shed recently :(
quest wrote: