Starion Engine Rebuild Perth?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
WIDEBODYMAN
[L] Plates

Starion Engine Rebuild Perth?

Post by WIDEBODYMAN »

Does anyone know a good Mitsubishi mechanic in the Perth area, who would be able to overhaul/uprate my 4G63 2.0 engine?.
I'm in the middle of a ground up restoration of my UK Widebody and have decided to get the engine done rather than putting it back in as is.The other alternative is to find an Evo 3 engine which apparently will fit straight in!..
Any ideas or help would be great!..
Peter
T-man
I like starions

Post by T-man »

Hi Peter, I hate to say it but the evo 3 route is not a straight swap. I'm in the middle of a twin cam convertion and its taken me over a year so far albeit I've been doing bits and pieces. Do a bit of research before diving in bud. There's a section on here called the twin cam section and it will shine some light on the subject for you.

T-man.
Theres only two people that can stop a run away bus, and am both of them.
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

I would say David at RPW would be top of the list
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

considerations with a swap to a later model dohc 4G63 that normally sits east-west are:

- cam angle sensor will not clear firewall - motor must be positioned forward of stock, or remove cam angle sensor and locate an RVR cam gear mounted unit

- water outlet on the dohc heads will be facing the firewall - some have a custom made water pipe that angles the flow to the side of the head and then around to the front (usually on the intake side); others have modified the head to allow the water to exit at the front. The latter option needs to be properly engineered to ensure that hot water does not remain stagnant at the back of the head. Water inlet at the pump may also need to be modified

- all dohc motors are east-west mounted from factory, and east-west mounted motors are narrow block, so they will not mate up directly to a starion gearbox. some of us have used other gearboxes such as a supra box with a dellow housing. Others have simply used the starion block with the later model dohc head - this option also means you never have to be concerned about your 7 bolt crank taking a walk in the park (can of worms i know, don't want to open it, but it should be mentioned). However this option also means you have to ensure you have the right cam drive belt, tensioner, harmonic balancer and lower timing cover - have i missed any pieces?

- intake manifold needs to have throttle body mount cut off and blocked off, and the other end cut and throttle body mount welded on - or get a custom manifold

- exhaust - standard is low mounted turbo - this will foul on stuff, so what you want is a high mount - I might be wrong, but i think some people have made do with an adaptor plate to fit the standard evo3 or vr4 turbo manifold upside down. Others have done custom manifold - this also increases your choice range for turbos. Regardless of what route you take though, chances are you will need to have a dump pipe made up, and will also need to work out turbo oil and water fittings and lines

- of course, there is wiring - can use the stock computer if the motor and turbo is stock, but loom will still need modification to reach everything. Tacho drive adaptor gizmo may be needed as you are generally going from single coil to multi coil ignition

All of this not even including intercooler setup, as I assume you will do that regardless of whether you go dohc or not ;)

I've listed all of this mainly to see if I remember it correctly, and secondly so you get an idea of what's involved lol. If i've missed anything, or mentioned something that is incorrect, please correct me anyone.
Last edited by thrash on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

so.. if you consider that "fitting straight in", then yes, it will!! rofl

well worth the effort imho though :beer
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

If you can't find anyone over there I can do it for you... But shipping my hurt from Brisbane & of course what spec rebuild you want. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Is Malcom Crockenberg still around over there?
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
WIDEBODYMAN
[L] Plates

Post by WIDEBODYMAN »

Thanks guys lots of info there..Thanks Thrash, it does seem a big job!..

1320ft - I went over to see David at RPW.Seems a top bloke..He suggested doing the Intake manifold with new direct Fuel injection set up.plus an aftermarket Intercooler..The stock Intercooler is quite small...surprisingly he reckons I keep the pistons and turbo.I always thought the pistons were the weak point on the 4G63!..It means an initial spend of around $4K...
I will probably go with this, certainly before I get the full respray done.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

a direct injection manifold..? Interesting!! Tell us more!
quest wrote:
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

thrash wrote:a direct injection manifold..? Interesting!! Tell us more!
I think he means multi point
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

yeah that'd make more sense wouldn't it :(
quest wrote:
WIDEBODYMAN
[L] Plates

Post by WIDEBODYMAN »

Sorry, meant Muti point!...
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

I've spent a lot of money with RPW, (before I knew better) and have found them to be a bit of a rip off.
Any decent mechanic can do an engine rebuild.
I'm not sure if Malcolm Crockenberg still does mechanical stuff for the general public, but I can ask him..?