Twin cam conversion

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

Well I ever used a Starion crank in a VR-4 engine('90 eclipse turbo)
fits like the original, and that engine has done about 20k since without a problem.

So I guess the other way around would work just as well (they are the same anyway)
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

any issued with running the waterneck out of the front of the head? There has been some debate about not enough flow getting to the back of the head with this method. I'd like to hear from someone who has actually road tested this though.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

On my starion block their is two large water outlets behind cylinder 4. I think this is different from dohc blocks that have the main outlets at the front and flow the water to the back! If you use the starion block and gasket, then open up some holes at the back of the dohc head to suit it should flow forward :wtf:
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Depends on a few things...but just modify it and run it where it's meant to be. Then you know it WILL work!
Can send u some pics if u like.......
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

Sweet mate, E-mail?
jedi
I like starions more

so it looks like im not the only one in chch nz

Post by jedi »

hi there. ive just bought a vr4 engine running and a Link G3 ecu to repower my my 84 starion i hope its not to much trouble to do. one question will my starion 2l turbo staroin fuel pump do the trick?? for now?
compressor
Mine is bigger than yours

Re: so it looks like im not the only one in chch nz

Post by compressor »

jedi wrote:hi there. ive just bought a vr4 engine running and a Link G3 ecu to repower my my 84 starion i hope its not to much trouble to do. one question will my starion 2l turbo staroin fuel pump do the trick?? for now?

yes up to 150kwatw maybee a bit more a few cars have gone 200kw atw with no hasles
upgrade it dont risk the amount of money it cost for a pump alot cheaper than a motor+rebuild
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

I just thought i would mention a couple of things so no one else gets trapped like i did.
1. Starion water pumps are longer than a vr4 pump.Also the water pump will foul against the tensioner with a vr4 timing cover(go VR4)
2.Starion alternator will not fit with vr4 timing cover (Thicker)
3.Starion balancers have a different I.D. to vr4(if you were going to use the original pulleys)
4.There is no brackets on the vr4 head for the starion power steering.
5.Rear thermostat housing needs modification.
6.Throttle body needs to go to other side of the manifold.
7.Air con fouls on tensioner (space it out a touch)
8.C.A.S. doesn't always touch firewall.(Try it first)
9.Balance shaft gears are different on starion compared to vr4 as the oil pump is bigger on a vr4 (Shaft size)

This is based on my own car which has a starion block & crank with a vr4 head and timing cover & i cannot speak for a complete vr4 engine swap as there may be some other things but i would suggest you use the complete vr4 front assembly(pulleys ect) for a much easier conversion.
Mitsi God
[L] Plates

Post by Mitsi God »

running low boost the standard feul pump is fine, but ive been throught 3 standard pump (second hand thou) on my soch engine putting out 190kw atw at 17psi. Go for a bosh pump, there no that dear... save you alot of hassels.
Where There's Smoke... There's Tyres!
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Hey thought I'd post here rather than start a new VR4 thread.

Is there anything that would stop me using a RVR head?
Are the non - turbo and turbo heads the same?
The RVR head uses electronic ignition with a 4 coil pack, what can I use to run these? (will I need anything special or can a ECU handle it on it's own)
Mitsi God
[L] Plates

Post by Mitsi God »

RVR head, as long as its evo 1-3 style is identical to evo 1-3, so yes it can be used on starion blocks, the coils are waste spark, so you can use eitheir 4g63 vr4 or evo loom and computer or aftermarket ecu (altronic, link etc...) all depends on what you want to do.
Where There's Smoke... There's Tyres!
Carr-e Staz01
Dorifto!

Post by Carr-e Staz01 »

Hey guys ive half finished my conversion and have one quick question. what about the exhuast manifold??? And has anyone heard of 6Boost manifolds or used them? Ive given Kyle @ 6Boost a call about making a mani to fit 4g63 and he said no worries but i dnt no weather it beinging in a staz will effect it or not.

And i found it was much easier to use an aftermarket computer than a standard Vr4. I recomend the Micro Tech Lts10. It comes with its own loom and really easy to install.

:beer
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Kyle is suppose to be a good manifold from what I have heard. You will have to tell him the manifold is for a rwd and ideally for a top mounted turbo. As on the vr4 and galant the turbo is mounted low and also faces the wrong way.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Carr-e Staz01
Dorifto!

Post by Carr-e Staz01 »

Do u know if Klye has made any mani's like this for a starion b4?? I just want to make sure it will fit without fouling on anything. I tried makig a top one myself using an Sr20 Mani and that didnt work out togreat @all, the turbo hit on the rocker cover and all sorts of shit!
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I wouldnt know if kyle has done any for a starion, but whoever you choose to make the manifold you will need to tell them it's for rwd anyway. Another option that redzone mentioned to me is some of the manifolds for the 4g63 have the collector in the middle (ie sitting between 2 and 3 cyl) so you can cut the manifold at the flange and then flip it over to make it a top mount and reweld it back on to the flange.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five