Is a Tremec T-56 strong enough?

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
1320ft
almost postwhore

Is a Tremec T-56 strong enough?

Post by 1320ft »

Do we all think that a commodore T-56 would be strong enough for me?
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Dunno....going to out torque Astons, vettes etc?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg-Warne ... ansmission
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

I think the longevity of a manual box depends just as much on the mechanical sympathy of the shift arm as it does on the torque production.

What sort of discount can you get on the boxes?
How much will the modification to the trans tunnel cost?
How much is a hollinger these days?

I actually quite liked the T5 in my old VN wagon. If they were strong enough I wouldn't have minded one.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

I'm thinking about running a 2nd hand Ford T-56 in the short term.

Then when I clear some more cash, i'll order a Magnum series T-56.
The Forum Parts Guy

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Good luck, will be interesting to see first had what trans tunnel mods are required for a box that size to fit.

It will also raise the weight of your car a bit. The t56 is somewhere between 60 and 70 kilos right?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

It's a good spot if you have to add extra ballast, down low and in the middle.

As above, a modicum of mechanical sympathy and it should fair well I'd reckon
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

I honestly think you wont have a problem, you could run 9's with a T56 in a starion if u can drive, which i'm sure you can..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
EVOMINUS
[P] Plater austaz

Post by EVOMINUS »

Although i hate them ,the only way to get into the 9' and later 8' is to go auto....way less weight and you can't go wrong...less damages everywhere espesially in the drivetrain and you don't probably have to cut the firewall or trans tunnel.A good converter and the 60ft is a piece of cake and so are the 9'.
I know that you have read about the dsm guys what they do but check again bushur's old starion...
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

thrash wrote:Good luck, will be interesting to see first had what trans tunnel mods are required for a box that size to fit.

It will also raise the weight of your car a bit. The t56 is somewhere between 60 and 70 kilos right?
There is plenty of weight coming out of the car as it is.

Trans tunnel mods dont bother me.
redzone wrote:I honestly think you wont have a problem, you could run 9's with a T56 in a starion if u can drive, which i'm sure you can..
I was reading about a notchback mustang streeter from the states that runs 8.40's with a T-56.
Alspos wrote:As above, a modicum of mechanical sympathy and it should fair well I'd reckon
Whats that?
EVOMINUS wrote:Although i hate them ,the only way to get into the 9' and later 8' is to go auto....way less weight and you can't go wrong...less damages everywhere espesially in the drivetrain and you don't probably have to cut the firewall or trans tunnel.A good converter and the 60ft is a piece of cake and so are the 9'.
I know that you have read about the dsm guys what they do but check again bushur's old starion...
Have a look at my other thread in general.

And PJ ran 8.50's @ 160 mph multiple times yesterday in his street driven, H pattern manual, S13 yesterday.

Drove the 700 km round trip to cootamundra & regularly cuts sub 1:10 laps at wakefield.
The Forum Parts Guy

EVOMINUS
[P] Plater austaz

Post by EVOMINUS »

at what thread are you reffering to?
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Just that due to my work schedule, a new baby & drag racing official commitments, the car needs to be more useable than in a straight line. Or else it will just sit in the garage for 50 weeks of the year.
The Forum Parts Guy

EVOMINUS
[P] Plater austaz

Post by EVOMINUS »

exactly my point...
if you need to cut the tunnel in order to fit the box you are reffering to,then due to the work and amount of time needed to make it happen,its never going to get out of your garage.
I wrote earlier that its not the best for me either,i prefer to have control over my gears,but due to the size of an auto which is in most cases smaller and though one of bill's bellhousings,is more possible and less time consuming...
And don't forget that in an auto your wife too can use your car for the family's grosseries and shopping LOL LOL LOL LOL
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

EVOMINUS wrote:... but due to the size of an auto which is in most cases smaller ...
Auto's are usually larger than manuals, thus the reason alot of classic vehicle shells that were factory fitted with automatic transmissions are sought after, as the transmission tunnel is larger than the equivalent manual transmission equipped car, making transmission swaps easier.
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

Hey Aaron,

I see in the other thread that you bought the t-56, and just wanted to say that it is an excellent decision.
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Thanks mate, got it at a good price.
The Forum Parts Guy