Problems bolting up gearbox

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Problems bolting up gearbox

Post by Lunacy »

Hey all
Have struck a problem - cant manage to get the b2200 gearbox i bought off jase bolted up to my engine.
Have a starion block with vr4 crank in it, fidanza alloy flywheel and spec stage 3 clutch.
I can get the input shaft splines lined up with the clutch disc fine and the end into the spigot bearing.
But i have about 1.5-2cm gap still between the bellhousing, and the tin plate attached to the block, and it wont go on any further.

I had another b2200 ute box earlier, that i had to extensively cut the shaft down on to get it to fit as well.
As the box i have now fitted jases gold car fine im in two minds as to what the problem is:

1) The fidanza isnt seated on the crank properly, causing everything to stick too far out

2) The crank ive used is out of an auto vr4, and is possibly different to the manual ones

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated, really need to get this project moving.
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

Don't you hate gearbox issues - they're such a pain to install and pull out again! Hopefully you're working on a hoist with a hydraulic 'box cradle and it's not too bad.

Does the spigot bearing fit the input shaft snuggly?

Is the gap of 1.5 - 2cm equal all the way around the bellhousing?

The tolerance on the Fidanza to the crank is very tight - it's possible that it hasn't mated properly - I remember when I fitted mine I was quite surprised at how tight they are.

Good luck!
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Lummy wrote:Don't you hate gearbox issues - they're such a pain to install and pull out again! Hopefully you're working on a hoist with a hydraulic 'box cradle and it's not too bad.

Does the spigot bearing fit the input shaft snuggly?

Is the gap of 1.5 - 2cm equal all the way around the bellhousing?

The tolerance on the Fidanza to the crank is very tight - it's possible that it hasn't mated properly - I remember when I fitted mine I was quite surprised at how tight they are.

Good luck!
Nope working with a chain block and engine cradle :(
Yup checked spigot bearing was right size for input shaft so no problems there, and yup even gap all round.
Did you heat your fidanza prior to install to get it to expand?
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

No, I didn't need to - the torque from the bolts was enough to slide it on, but it was very tight.

I can't think of any other possible problems...looks like you might need to remove it and check it all out properly.

Was the previous owner using an adaptor plate perhaps? If so, that could account for the 15mm of gap?
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Right another crisis averted.
I pulled the clutch and FW off the motor this morning, then attached them together and slid them onto the input shaft. It went on to the same position it had when the FW and clutch was on the engine, but i could see the in put shaft was barely inside the spigot bearing.
A bit of wiggling, and a few taps with a rubber mallet later and it slid on another 20mm.
Seems the clutch disc spline and input shaft spline fit is VERY tight!
So pulled it all off and reassembled it, then finally managed to get the box on and bolted up. Hopefully not to be taken off again for awhile!
Thanks for help anyway :)