HELP!! VR4 Wolf 3D V4 False Triggering or Noise issue

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

thrash wrote: Wasn't sure if it was the cas or the computer, as the hand controller started displaying funny things and randomly scrolling through menus.

took her to the tuner to check out the computer, and it turns out it was the hand controller - the hand controller wouldn't allow another map to be loaded on. Disconnecting the hand controller and then loading the same map back onto the car allowed her to start :)

I will nag you for assistance with the wolf from time to time, but I am thinking of upgrading the computer when money permits

:beer
Thats Good M8... just a quick note... The V4 ECU your using is a Fantastic unit.... The V500 or V4x is better for some applications but in reality has way to many functions you will never use & for the added expense it's really not worth it. If you had a XR6 Turbo or something with VCT, Traction Control, etc then yes the V500 is what I would use.

I now have 3 x V4 & 2 X V4+ units & I will continue to acquire more as these units are just perfect for 99% of applications including my V8 (Votrec 350CI) Ski boat .

Please save your money & put it towards a 20G Turbo or some other performance item as your V4 is the best unit.

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

So I never updated this, but I found the problem after pulling out the motor recently.

The cas is sitting a bit too close to the firewall, and they don't seem to get along very well. So the case and the firewall must have had a few too many fights and the cas lost.

I'll post up pictures before I pull it off and replace it.

I thought it was the wiring, so i've pulled all of that out and will redo it anyway, but it looks like i didn't have to lol.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

thrash wrote:So I never updated this, but I found the problem after pulling out the motor recently.

The cas is sitting a bit too close to the firewall, and they don't seem to get along very well. So the case and the firewall must have had a few too many fights and the cas lost.

I'll post up pictures before I pull it off and replace it.

I thought it was the wiring, so i've pulled all of that out and will redo it anyway, but it looks like i didn't have to lol.
That's good & bad Thrash, at least u found the problem, as I said, the WOLF ECU systems are the most reliable units I have seen & used, I was confident it wouldn't be the ECU. As I have said before & will say again, the V4 & V4x & V500 are fantastic, for our cars & just can't pass up a V4 unit.

Cheers

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

don't suppose you know the pinouts for the hand controller socket on the v4 ecu?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

sorry thrash, No I don't.

:beer

merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

It has been quite a while, but I seem to remember you need to add a pull-up resistor from the CAS signal to +5V (sensor 5 volts).
470 ohms should do nicely.

Even fuzzeyer memory, the Wolf might have an option to do this internally.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

wow, how long has it been since you've been to austarion merlin?

I'm honoured that you choose to post in my thread upon your return sensei!!

Thanks for the tip - since i'm redoing my wiring loom anyway, I will just pass 12v to the CAS :beer
quest wrote:
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

merlin wrote:It has been quite a while, but I seem to remember you need to add a pull-up resistor from the CAS signal to +5V (sensor 5 volts).
470 ohms should do nicely.

Even fuzzeyer memory, the Wolf might have an option to do this internally.
Yes Merlin your correct. Pullup Resisters are needed up until V4x( thats the 4cly version of the V500).
so in sumary

Wolf v2-v4 & v4+ & V400.... need pullup Resisters to run Optical
Wolf v4x , V500 & V550 don't need resisters,Its done in the software.. Finally

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

wait.. if i'm just going to pass 12v to the cas instead of 5v, then i don't need a pull up resistor, do i? Or am I understanding this wrong and the resistor is for something else?
quest wrote:
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

Hmm, I just tried to check how I wired mine up, but i think I must have given those folders to Adrian. Probably got it on computer somewhere though.

Well, if your ECU has the pull-up capability, then you should enable that function.

If not, then add the resistor, connect one end to the CAS signal, the other end to +5 volts from the ECU. Dont forget there are two CAS signals, you need to have pull-ups on both signals.

Sorry, I dont remember what supply voltage I used on my twin-cam setup, though I do remember the CAS worked fine (bench testing) with 5V, 8V or 12V.

And follow that 20G advice :pimp
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

Of course, there is an alternative approach for those about to start a twin-cam build - just fit an Evo loom and ECU/MAF/injectors.

A loom from a Evo4/5/6 would do, use a 5 or 6 ECU and any Evo MAF.
Or get a loom and ECU from an Evo7/8. They can be made to work.
This will basicly get you into what we are doing with Evos these days.

That will get you full programability and logging, dual maps for petrol/E85 etc and knock sensing capability with all the safety features etc etc.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

thrash wrote:wait.. if i'm just going to pass 12v to the cas instead of 5v, then i don't need a pull up resistor, do i? Or am I understanding this wrong and the resistor is for something else?
The resister is required for the optical signal & no I doesn't matter is you use 5V,8V or 12V it is still required as per my post above....

Having said that you of course DON'T need them if your using the STD Magnetic Reluctor Dissy...

:beer :beer