Cam Timing for Quicker Spool

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Cam Timing for Quicker Spool

Post by thrash »

I remember reading somewhere on the forums that playing with exhaust (i think) cam timing can help get boost earlier in the rev range.

Can anyone share any concrete information on this? Experiences? Drawbacks? How many rpms worth of extra boost did you get etc?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Tuner/dyno/time/experiment/money = result :beer
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

My two bobs is:

i asked my tuner about this same thing; he tunes targa and track evo's...

He said for a small turbo im running (TD05 20G) its not worth worrying about for the street and a bit of track, but has seen good results retarding the exhaust cam up to a few degrees for brutal midrange while only losing a couple kw's up top; like lose 5-6kw's up top and gain 20kw's mid!

worth looking into!
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

thrash

just turn your cam gears all the way to the left !

trust me :twisted: :D

seriously
i think what Mick said is right !
you have to have a play with the exhaust cam but anything you change will have to be checked by your tuner anyway.
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

yeah good one bender!

like the only way to get enjoyment out of a 202 is to advance the timing two teeth and do what you can for the last 45 seconds of its life!

whatever adjustment you make be dead sure to tighten the bolts back to spec, slipping from there is bad news, and the hks ones come loose...

from memory i think its about 3* retard on the exhaust cam to get fat midrange.
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

thanks for the info guys

the hks ones come loose? :wtf:

what brand ones are you using then?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

yeah the hks ones i bought were loose, made sure they were tight before the engine was started :beer