cooling system setup

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
stariontron
I like starions more

cooling system setup

Post by stariontron »

hi again, just got some queries regarding the cooling setup. here's my proposed arrangement;

So I've got a new waterneck off the back of the head, and using a 4agze remote thermostat housing ($10 off toyspeed.org. toyota owners are bros).

The thermostat-regulated stream (blue) comes from the radiator (LHS) through the water pump and engine, out the new waterneck, through the thermostat (in red) and back into the radiator return.

The unregulated stream (green) come from the side outlet of the water pump, down the side of the block via the external pipe, through the turbo and heater system, then joins the thermostat housing after the thermostat.

On the right track? I've seen a few of the other member's setups and there's a tendency to route the neck of the water pump towards the rear of the engine which confuses me a little.
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

According to "Starion Service Manual 1987"
But.... depending on the intakemanifold setup you'v got it can be some differenses of course!
The way you have drawn it won't flow anything thrue the heater...
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

ah yep thats correct, sorry i meant to remove the green between the heater lines.

just found another mistake i've made, the rearwards facing neck from the waterpump is a return pipe not a feed one... i'll need to plumb the feed to the turbo from a point after the engine. hmm
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

ok heres version mk2:

i'm confident its the same as the diagram you posted fugazi.

radiator>water pump>engine>heater>turbo>water pump. I'm a little concerned about coolant flow to the heater/turbo once the thermostat opens however, as the path of least resistance would be straight through the thermostat and back to the radiator. Can't think of a better way of doing it though, the only direct positive feed from the pump is through the engine itself

actually it would be nice to have the turbo outlet running back into the radiator rather than to the water pump, but I suppose theyve done it this way to facilitate a faster warmup. Could always block off the secondary inlet pipe to the waterpump but that would mean another water pipe running over/around the engine to the radiator inlet

also, does a thermostat care which way round its placed? which way is the correct orientation for one anyway? the spring section faces against the flow, correct?
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

No... that way you will only get (proper) turbocooling when the heat is on inside...
Separate the turbocooling from the rest!
Do you realy need the heater? :wink:
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

oh, so the heater controls whether or not the water actually flows though it? i thought that it was constant, and the selector just chose whether or not you were taking air from the heater core... ok, i think i got this now...

i'll take the heater water from the rear of the thermostat, theres another outlet on that side. in saying that, the cam angle sensor is so close to the heater hoses, i'll probably have to make a seperate hole in the firewall if i DO want to run a heater :S cross that bridge when I get to it.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

You are proposing to flow from the inlet (pre-thermostat), pass through the heater then through the turbo and return to the pump suction?
Flow is the reverse of what your text indicates.
Alternatively find a water outlet on the pressure side of the water pump and flow through turbo, then heater and return to the radiator side of the thermostat.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

MrBishi wrote:You are proposing to flow from the inlet (pre-thermostat), pass through the heater then through the turbo and return to the pump suction?
Flow is the reverse of what your text indicates.
Alternatively find a water outlet on the pressure side of the water pump and flow through turbo, then heater and return to the radiator side of the thermostat.
hmm you might have posted this before my last revision, but the turbo and heater core water are now two seperate systems. not too sure what you mean about the flow direction, feel free to chuck a few arrows onto my pic to get your point across?
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

I thing your getting there stariontron... but, the warm water to the heater should be taken from the inletmani/before the termostat.
And the turbocooling from other side.... switch them!
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

heres how i thought it was going to work. I can tee the heater water off from the turbo feed if you reckon thats a better idea fugazi
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

This would work, but you will only get heating when termostat is open...
Switch the green and grey at the termo...
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

fugazi wrote:This would work, but you will only get heating when termostat is open...
ah, i was going to tee the heater and turbo together, off the turbo (green) line, so should get flow all the time.