narrow dellow bellhousing w58

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
greenstaz82
Mine is bigger than yours

narrow dellow bellhousing w58

Post by greenstaz82 »

can someone tell me what flywheel is used for the narrow block dellow housing ? im running the vr4 flywheel and vr4 starter motor . The starter motor is just free spinning and not engaging :x . ive heard l300 is maybe the one to use ? . i rang the dude at dellow and he reckons is should all marry up to standard flywheel and starter ... but yeh doesnt seem that way .
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Are you sure that the drive pinion is extending as the starter can make a whiring noise without the pinion gear moving to mesh with the ring gear?
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
greenstaz82

Post by greenstaz82 »

yeah i looked into that by trying 2 different starters with no cure , u can here it click then spin , im guessing the clicking is the cog engaging . i held the twincam dust plate up over the bellhousing before installing and the starter holes were slighty out which now makes me think i need a different flywheel then what ive got ( vr4) .
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

My guess is that the Dellow stuff is designed for 2L sigma (4G52) flywheel and starter. I don't know of any difference between the diameters of narrow block flywheels, but it may be worth checking.
I'll have a scratch around for a sigma flywheel in the pile, but I don't think I have one to measure.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
kiwi_EX
I like starions more

Post by kiwi_EX »

From reading the comments from Bill Hincher on the Zero G forums the AWD and FWD flywheels might be different (he talks about changing his W5x adapter to suit the AWD flywheel as opposed to the FWD flywheel).
1988 Mitsubishi Starion EX Widebody
1987 Mitsubishi Starion EX
1991 Mitsubishi L200 Double Cab Sport
2010 Holden Colorado Ute
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

What is stamped onto your Dellow housing? It will have an identifying stamp at the top.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

haven't you had your conversion for a while now? is this a new problem that's started showing up or has it been happening the entire time?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
greenstaz82

Post by greenstaz82 »

MrBishi wrote:My guess is that the Dellow stuff is designed for 2L sigma (4G52) flywheel and starter. I don't know of any difference between the diameters of narrow block flywheels, but it may be worth checking.
I'll have a scratch around for a sigma flywheel in the pile, but I don't think I have one to measure.
i think ive got it sussed out , i dug out an old l200 5speed and mocked it up with a vr4 flywheel and starter and starter is way off . i held up the twincam dust plate to the l200 bellhousing and is shows the same thing as what the delllow housing did , si my guess is that the l200 flywheel is slightly bigger then vr4 to make up the distance to the starter .
greenstaz82

Post by greenstaz82 »

thrash wrote:haven't you had your conversion for a while now? is this a new problem that's started showing up or has it been happening the entire time?
yeah ive had the supra box in it for a while with an adapter plate and supra bellhousing but ive had alot of dramas with the slave and the travel on the pedal , it was a bastard to get gears and started making grinding noises . over all it wasnt a very good setup cause i could never find the correct slave ,fork etc for the bellhousing (1ggte ) and i ended up just trying to utilize other stuff plus i think it also has an alignment isssue cause the mark on the pressure plate fingers from the throwout was not even and over to one side . so yeah i thought a dellow housing and bits would be a qiuck fix lol
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Im fairly certain the AWD ringgear is smaller than an L300 flywheel to allow for the transfer case
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah dude you 100% positively need a sigma/scorpion 2.0 flywheel, starter motor is identical.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
greenstaz82

Post by greenstaz82 »

are they the same as a l300 flywheel ?
greenstaz82

Post by greenstaz82 »

thanks for the info fellas . Well i got it all up and running with another flywheel and all seemed good for a few days , drove nice with no noise . Then it all turned bad last saturday afternoon :shock: . The clutch pedal went all funny and started engaging off the floor and car was shuttering quite badly so i jacked it up when i got home and found thats the clutch fork pivot point had snapped off the bellhousing , not the pivot ball but the casting tag on the bellhousing :x . Probably something people should watch on these dellow housings is clearance around pivot point casting to the input shaft housing bolts , they foul when bellhousing is tighten up . After having mine welded back on i fixed this problem by just taking a bit off the back edge with a grinder so it had clearance . Another problem that had to be sorted was the travel and angle of the fork , basicly when the throwout bearing came in contact with the clutch fingers the fork was on a 45 degree angle then when pushed by the slave is extended further back and was touching the edge of the bellhousing cut out . You can adjust the pivot point out to improve the angle but only so far so i had a mate turn up a 15 mm spacer that presses onto the throwout bearing holder first then the bearing onto the front of that . It brought the fork back to a 90 degree angle . im currently putting it back together and will post up again and let u all know how it went , ive spoken to tomvr4 who did this conversion to his old car and reckons he ran into the same sorta problems . so it might be something to look out for when doing this conversion as there is a few things thats need attention .
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

yeah i adjusted my pivot point almost right out and the adjustable slave cylinder rod adjusted right to the end too. Seems like something that should be fixed.
G6E Falcon Turbo (stock)
XJ Jeep Cherokee (5" lift, muddies, lockers etc)